CHAPTER SIX ~ THE SPY

Word Count: 2344 

 I made changes before publishing but am just now realizing almost two days later that they did not save. I have now fixed them up now. Sorry for any confusion to those who have already read the chapter. Please forgive my mistake.

~~~

     I wake up to a radio crackling in the other room. It's annoying as hell before I realize who it might be. Jumping out of bed and racing to Will's, I grab the radio off his floor. "Dustin? Lucas? This is Frankie, do you guys copy?"

     "Your late, Byers." Dustin's voice states through the radio and I roll my eyes. 

      "Have you guys heard anything from Will or Mike?" 

     "No, sorry Frankie." Lucas says and I press my hand to my forehead before nodding to myself. 

     "Then what's going on? Why are you guys radioing?"

     "Dart grew again, he escaped and I'm pretty sure he's a baby Demogorgon." 

      "What?" I stare at the radio for several long moments.

     "I'll explain later. Meet us at the old junkyard." The boys don't give me time to respond before they call over and out. And I stare a minute or two longer at the radio before I run back into my room and get dressed. Jeans, tshirt, flannel, jean jacket, sneakers. I pull on my favorite baseball cap before I grab my backpack. I shove a couple water bottles, a shitty first aid kit, and Will's radio into it. I grab my switch blade from under my mattress and shove it into my pocket before I rush out the door and grab my bike.

~~~

      Slowing to a stop in front of Max's house, I can't stop my heart from racing. I stare for a few seconds before hopping off my bike and going to the door. It takes me two minutes to work up the nerve to ring the bell. Through the door I can hear loud rock music and after I ring the bell a second time, I hear yelling. 

     As soon as Max opens the door and sees me, she steps out and closes it behind her. "What are you doing here, Frankie?"

     "I have proof."

     "What?"

     "Proof that what I told you at the arcade is real. But we need to hurry up."

     "What kind of proof?"

     "Max, I don't have time to explain."

    "Fine, go about to my bedroom window." She doesn't let me agree before she's back inside the door and I run to grab my bike and then around the back of her house. 

     I wait for a minute before I hear a door slam and look up in time to see Max yanking up her bedroom window. She quickly climbs out her window and gives my shoulder a shove forward as she get onto the bike behind me. "This better be good, Byers." 

~~~

     I spot Steve, Dustin and Lucas further in the junkyard and nudge Max. "Hey, dumbasses!" I yell and all three of them look over to us as we start down the hill and into the yard. As soon as we get there though, Lucas and Dustin are pulling me behind one of the cars. 

     "You told her?" Dustin asks, sharing a look with Lucas and I rub my forehead.

     "Yeah, what's the problem? I thought you guys wanted to tell her too?" 

      "We all agreed not to tell her and to look for Dart." Lucas snaps at me.

      "Who, which one of you, conveniently found?" I roll my eyes at the boys. "Look, it's done and over, Max is here now. Get over it." I stand up and walk back over to where Max is moving some sheet metal in front of the bus.