An Unexpected Surprise

I’m talking to Thomas Young but he refuses to answer any of my questions. He won’t even let me inside his house. Honestly, I don’t mind that considering how disgusting it looks on the outside. I can’t imagine what the interior looks like. 

“What do you want? Who are you?” Thomas says with a thick Scottish accent. 

        Thomas Young is the perfect example of a stereotypical Scottish. He has auburn hair, pale pale green eyes, freckles, snow white skin, and of course, the thick accent. His hair is tousled, like he hasn’t even bothered with it. I pictured him being muscular and big, but he is the exact opposite- scrawny and thin. Thomas might have been something that girls would swoon over back when he was in high school, but those days are clearly a thing of the past. I can tell that he is nervous that two random people are badgering him with questions, so I decide to slow things down a bit and start from the beginning.

“My name is Liam. This is my friend Ray. We’re not going to hurt you. Are you Thomas Young?” I ask kindly. 

“Yes I am Thomas Young. What do you want?” 

“I would like to speak to you. If that’s okay with you of course.” 

“Am I in trouble or something?” 

“Not at all. May I speak with you?”

        He nods and gestures for us to come in. I look at Ray and start walking in, with him right on my heels. When I step inside I’m amazed. Every wall is painted a pale shade of blue with photos of him and a woman. The inside of his house is unexpectedly clean. 

“Is this your wife?” I ask. 

Thomas shakes his head with amusement. “No, that’s Madeline my high school ‘sweetheart’. I haven’t seen her since she gave birth to my daughter, Madeline. I took off.” 

“Why did you just take off? I mean that’s your family!” 

“I took off because I never wanted a child that young. Besides Madeline was a bitch anyway. Always whining and complaining about every little thing.” 

“Well. Thomas, you’re child Madeline died last year. She was my best friend. I was hoping you could tell me a little bit about your relationship with Madeline, your girlfriend.” Can I seriously kill this bastard? 

“Madeline kept the baby?” He laughed a little. “She’s so selfish for naming a kid after herself.” Suddenly I hear footsteps coming from the hallway. There’s no one else that lives here so who the hell could it be? 

“Thomas, honey? What’s going-” A tall and thin woman with white blonde hair and blue eyes walks into the living room. 

“Who are you?” I ask with a kind of disgusted tone. 

“I’m Madeline, Thomas’s girlfriend. Who the hell are you?” 

“Madeline, you were supposed to stay in the room until I told you that they left. God, you never listen!” Thomas says in a scolding tone. 

“Well I can’t exactly go back in the room now, can I?” She says. 

“My name is Liam. Does that name ring any bells to you, Madeline?” 

“I didn’t think you would actually take that note seriously.” 

Ray pipes in out of nowhere. I forgot he was even here. “Madeline?” 

The woman goes pale. So this is Ray’s wife? No offense to him, but he could have done better.  

“Ray! I didn’t know that you were going to be here...”