A New Light

"You're okay, Orchidstorm. Breathe and just um...bite down on this stick." The wolf padded to the back of the den, picking up some crushed up Iris petals, raspberry leaves, and some belladonna. As he padded back, he watched his adopted mother writhe in pain.
"Hey, chew these. You're doing just fine." Fallen Feather spoke softly, hiding the fear in his voice. This is my first kitting, and I'm doing it on my own! The she-cat chewed up the herbs, staying silent for the most part. He crouched down next to her, pressed against her.

The three new bundles mewed in hunger, their high-pitched squeals echoing off the cave walls.
"I hear the little ones." Nightstar purred as she pushed past the lichen, gazing at the three kits.
"What're their names?"
Orchidstorm looked up, "The brown tabby is Burrkit, the little grey one is Reedkit, and the white one is Cloudkit."
Feather watched the she-cats interact from inside the cave, sighing.
"Fallen Feather did a good job at delivering. Where is he?" Orchidstorm threw her head in the direction of the wolf, curling her tail around the kits. Nightstar nodded, padding into the cave, her nostrils filling with the different scents of herbs and poultices.
"Oh...hey, Nightstar." The she-cat chuckled, looking at him.
''You seem upset, Fallen. What's wrong?"
She sat down, her dark tail wrapping neatly around her paws.
"Nothing is wrong, Nightstar. I'm...just tired."
His voice was indeed tired, but it was laced with sadness and a hint of loneliness.
"I know it's hard seeing the new kits. All you can think about is the raid. Honestly...so do I. But you need to stay strong for Orchidstorm and the young ones." The dark coloured she-cat watched as the wolf eased his tense muscles, sighing.
"I understand. For a few days I need to stay here and work on the herb store in case someone gets sick. A couple of days will give me the chance to talk to Breezewhisper and beg him to take over as medicine cat for a moon." Nightstar chuckled at the name of the previously retired medicine cat. "Good luck with that. I'll hold your training for a couple of days, or at least until you find someone to cover for you." Fallen Feather dipped his head as the clan leader padded past him and out of the cave.

Fallen Feather padded towards the huge, hollow tree, stopping at the entrance. "That's when I leapt out from the brambles, tackling the badger head on!" The wolf heard the apprentices gasp, listening to the elders story. I guess they're awake. He padded in, noticing two young, cats. The amber one is Weaslepaw, the pale sandy-coloured one is Beechpaw. "Ah! Hello young one!" Whitherscar, a young grey tom with a scarred and torn back leg looked up, pausing his story to look up at the wolf.
"Hello, Whitherscar. I'm here to speak with Breezewhisper. I'd appreciate his help if he could cover my medicine cat duties for a moon, just so Orchidstorm can care for her new kits and I can continue my training. Of course, he doesn't have to."
Fallen Feather stuttered out the last part as he watched an amber tom raise his head, his ears twitching in annoyance.
"Does Nightstar know you're asking me this?" Breezewhisper questioned from afar, his green eyes focusing on the wolf as if he was staring into his soul.
"Yes, she does. She's agreed that it's a good idea. I know you've retired but it would be a big help." His voice never quivered in fear under the elders intense stare.
"Tch, you might need to teach me some of the newer herbs. I'll start tomorrow. " The tom rested his head back onto his paws, falling asleep before Fallen could respond. Whitherscar chuckled, looking to the wolf. "Have time to stay for a story?" He chuckled, sitting down next to the other apprentices, wrapping his tail around his paws. "I always do."