𝟏.𝟏 ─ Meet the Harringtons

────── ANGEL

chapter one

i

i. Meet the Harringtons

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 7, 1983 ──

HAWKINS, INDIANA WAS FAR FROM AN INTERESTING TOWN. It was the epidemy of an average, small town that was home to a population of more-than-average people. Surrounded by thick woods and a large, interconnected river system in the middle of the rolling terrain of the state, Hawkins was a place where everyone knew everyone, and word traveled quickly. A few businesses overshadowed others and the past times in the late fall mainly consisted of hunting, going to the Hawk theater, and local school sporting events. It was a quiet suburban town with little to see and less to do.

Nothing ever happened in Hawkins.

In one of the more upscale neighborhoods of the tiny town, Stella Harrington began her morning like any other. Rolling out of her bed with a prolonged sigh with large, tangled mess of brunette hair atop her head, she managed to force her eyes open to greet the morning light. Her bare feet dragged along the carpeted floor to the adjoined bathroom and then brought her back out a few minutes later towards her closet. It was a fight to search through the endless amount of clothing hanging inside for an outfit for school. Ignoring her growling stomach, Stella discarded the chosen pieces at the end of her unmade bed and walked to the hand-me-down phonograph that was placed in the large sill of the bay windows across the room.

Peeling back the lavender frilly curtains, Stella took a moment to admire the sight of the sun rising over the deep autumn adorned woods that lined the far end of the large backyard of the Harrington property. She absentmindedly began swaying along to the soft music now filling the space of her bedroom.

She continued her morning routine of getting dressed, slipping on a vibrant purple silk button up and tucking the ends of it into the waist of her black jeans. Stella left the buttons from her chest and above unbuttoned as she twirled about the room, stopping in front of the large mirror connected atop chest-of-drawers next to her bedroom door. Softly humming, she forced a brush through her unruly hair, causing the natural waves to frizz much to her dismay. Pinning the tuffs of hair back from her face with a few simple barrettes, Stella turned away from the mirror.