𝟏.𝟑 ─ An Admirer

────── ANGEL

chapter three

iii

iii. An Admirer

STEVE'S PARTY LASTED WELL INTO THE EARLY HOURS OF THE MORNING. Per usual, Steve had rushed Stella out the front door for school Wednesday morning. Stella had fallen asleep while her music had been blaring, the needle of the turntable falling into the run-out area of the record well after she had begun snoring. Aside from the typical annoyance caused by Stella dragging her feet, Steve was chipper, wide awake with his hair combed back from his face like it usually was. Steve even had enough energy to poke fun at the dark purple bags under her eyes while he skipped around.

She glared into the mirror that hung on the inside of her locker door. Prodding at the dark spots once more with her fingers, Stella sighed and returned to sorting through the materials needed for her morning classes.

"You look like shit," Pepper snickered, leaning against the neighboring locker.

Stella rolled her eyes at the redhead, opening her locker door more to obscure her friend's view of her face. Pepper let out an amused huff and rounded the obstacle to look over Stella's shoulder into the brightly decorated interior of the cubby. They glanced at one another's reflections long enough in the mirror for Stella to begin to feel self-conscious once again. She grabbed a random scrunchie from the shelf at the top of her locker to pull her knotted, frizzy hair back from her face into a ponytail before attempting to rub off the dried mascara from the day before that had caked around her tired eyes.

Realizing that most of the darkness from under her eyes remained due to the lack of sleep the night before, Stella sighed and turned to Pepper with a defeated look.

Her mood been nothing short of bitter since she had unraveled herself from her quilts that morning after Steve had obnoxiously barged into her room that morning and shook her from her slumber. Stella had been so preoccupied the night before trying to read her English assignment and drowning out the noises coming from across the hallway that she forgot to set her alarm for school that morning. So, she woke up late, which left her no chance to look as presentable as she would have liked before Steve was pulling her out the door.

So, there she was, dressed sloppily in a baggy, striped long-sleeved polo that used to be Steve's that was tucked into her jeans from the day before, her favorite Sperry loafers, and socks she was sure was mismatched. It had not helped that while she had attempted to rake her hairbrush through her hair in an attempt to somewhat tame it, Steve stood in the doorway and clapped his hands together obnoxiously, impatiently telling her to hurry so he could meet Nancy before first bell. In all, Stella could barely remember getting ready that morning. She had even forgotten a coat on her way out the door.