𝟏.𝟒 ─ Monsters Among Us

────── ANGEL

chapter four

iv

iv. Monsters Among Us

AT EXACTLY FIVE O'CLOCK THE NEXT MORNING, STELLA AND STEVE WERE BOTH AWOKEN BY THEIR MOTHER. Heather and John Harrington had arrived at home that morning from a "business trip", having driven the two hours from the city home with the claim of wanting to see their children before they were off to school. Heather had knocked softly on their doors before opening them, calling out to them from the doorway to wake up. At first, Stella had not recognized the voice and froze in the position she had woke in. She laid stiff, facing the opposite direction, until Heather had seated herself on the bed next to Stella's curled up form, petting her messed up hair and coaxing her from her slumber.

It both saddened and annoyed Stella that her mother's voice was like one of a stranger. At one point in time, Stella had been attached to her mother at the hip everywhere they would go. It was not uncommon to have heard the neighborhood ladies gawking about how alike the two of them were at the grocery store from in passing or during work parties from the Harrington's coworkers. Heather liked to dress Stella to compliment her own outfit sometimes and do her daughter's hair in ways she used to wear hers. Stella was her mini, Heather would be told. Stella saw it sometimes when she looked in the mirror or when she went through photo albums.

Stella took after their mom and the maternal side of the gene-pool, all except the eyes. Stella and Steve had the same eye color as their father.

Their parents' return meant that Stella and Steve would no longer be sleeping in on their own terms for the duration of their parent's stay, and family breakfasts would replace their extra hour of sleep. So, by six-thirty, the Harrington siblings begrudgingly dragged themselves from their rooms and down the stairs, already dressed for the day.

Stella had managed to brush her hair while slumped forwards against her vanity, barely being able to keep her eyes open, leaving it in neat waves before pulling the top layer halfway up into a ponytail using a bright yellow scrunchie. Her white, blue, and green striped sweater was large in the sleeves, the hem tucked into the waistband of her cuffed jeans and sinched at the waist by a belt. Her socks were obnoxiously loud in color, the stripes visible above her ankles with her low-rise, white sneakers. Little effort had been put into her makeup, having pressed a light-colored glitter to her eyelids with the pad of her index finger and managed not to lose an eye while applying mascara before calling it good.