𝟏.𝟐 ─ A Strange Turn of Events

────── ANGEL

chapter two

ii

ii. A Strange Turn of Events

AFTER HAVING A TURBULENT NIGHT'S SLEEP, Stella was startled awake the next morning before her alarm was scheduled to go off. The repetitive stomping traveling over and over, up and down the hallway outside of her bedroom had stirred her from slumber. Judging from the loud and obnoxious singing accompanying the noise, it was Steve parading about the house frantically. He seemed to bump into everything around him as he went from the stairs to his room across the hall once again.

Letting out a prolonged groan, Stella angrily pushed herself from the warmth of her blankets and resituated her nightgown. She stormed over to her bedroom door, pulling it open just in time to catch a glimpse of her brother traveling back into his bedroom. Steve paused in his open doorway hearing her door open, surprisingly giving his sister a wide smile despite being fully aware of the sour expression on her face. He was surprised and elated that Stella was already awake and standing in the threshold to her room, dumb to the fact that it was his noisiness that had awakened her. Steve was already dressed in his favorite green sweatshirt and jeans, ready for school despite it being much too early for his usual routine to be over.

"What the hell, Steve?" She asked groggily, rubbing her eyes, "What are you doing?"

Steve simply shrugged as he glanced back at her over his shoulder, "Cleaning."

He disappeared back into his room, sounds of rummaging following him as Stella continued to question him, "At six-thirty in the morning?"

"I've been up since four," A simple statement followed with a sigh, Steve returned to sight with a laundry basket piled full of clothing in his hands, "Look, I want to have a... small get together tonight-"

"Tommy and Carol have been over every day since Mom and Dad left- oh... OH!" Her eyes widened in realization, "You're cleaning your room to have Nancy come over."

Steve rolled his eyes, "Huh, you're not as dumb as you look."

"Can't say the same for you," The youngest scoffed, "But seriously? You're cleaning your room?"

"Just in case," He defended, "But since you're up early, maybe you can get dressed so we can leave at a decent time."

In response, Stella shut the door in his face.