6

Over the following week, Elyria did her best to be near the Captain and yet invisible to the flurry of nurses and doctors doing their best to keep him alive.

While most of his injuries seemed to improve, they discovered the deep wound in his thigh to be infected. Multiple surgeries—all done without the aid of anesthesia due to continued supply delays—had to be performed to debride the necrotic and diseased tissue.

His hoarse screams and pleadings for mercy or death reverberated through the building and tore at Elyria's heart. She ached for him and longed to offer comfort in any way she could.

But Nurse Winters had ordered her to keep clear lest she got underfoot and hinder their efforts. Although she had used less diplomatic terms, Elyria tried her best to forget.

Antiseptic bandages were changed and reapplied at least twice daily. Their bitter whiskey odor permeated his room and out into the hallway with nauseating intensity.

When his fever continued into a second week, Elyria couldn't help but defy orders. Drawn to him by an unseen force, she approached his room in mounting trepidation.

By the sound of it, Captain Rattlesnake was livid and bent on causing destruction.

"ENOUGH of your torture," He cried out. His voice, full of agony and despair, broke on a sob as he continued, "Leave me to die, damn you..."

Tears stung Elyria's eyes, and she clasped a hand to her mouth to hold back a cry of distress.

"Captain," Tabitha, one of the senior nurses, cajoled, "Please allow me to do my job."

A metal tray laden with instruments crashed to the floor. "Get...OUT!" He shouted brokenly.

Something hit Tabitha with a dull thwonk. "You're making this worse!" She yelped a curse, then barked, "Will one of you sedate him? This is ridiculous!"

"With what, nurse?" Stew complained, telltale notes of panic in his voice. "Supplies still haven't arrived,"

"Give him some whiskey," she said through clenched teeth. Clearly, the usually congenial woman had reached her limit. "Anything that'll settle him down a little."

"You," the Captain hissed.

"Me?" Tabitha asked, clearly worried.

"No," the Captain growled, "the man."

A tense hush fell over the room's occupants, broken by Stew stammering, "M-me?"

"Yes, you... lay a finger on me, and I'll break your arm in five places." Despite any apparent fatigue and weakened condition, his voice dripped with suppressed violence.

Elyria gulped down a swallow at the threat and took three steps back in case objects flew.

"Pegleg?" Captain Rattlesnake cried out, and then his tone changed to one of relief. "Pegleg, is that you?"

She froze; everyone turned in unison to look at her, the weight of their stares heavy and uncomfortable. "Y-yes," she stammered, "I'm here."

"Have her do it," he ordered, his tone brooking no argument," she's the only one I want near me. She's the only one I'll trust."

"But, she's—" Tabitha began to say, but Elyria placed a hand on her arm and shook her head. 'Please don't say I'm blind,' she silently pleaded.

So many people already treated her like her lack of vision made her less than others who were whole. But to the Captain, she was just as capable as anyone else.

Despite having only been a part of his life the past two weeks, it would devastate her should he learn the truth and have it change his opinion of her.

With doubt and resignation plain in her voice, Tabitha quietly agreed, "Alright."

Taking a steadying breath, Elyria squeezed Tabitha's arm in thanks and walked with her to the side of the bed.

When she set a calming hand on the Captain's forehead, Elyria closed her eyes and let out a sigh of relief. His fever had finally broken. Smoothing sweaty strands of hair off his brow, she smiled when his body slowly relaxed under her touch.

Tabitha guided her in removing the soiled bandages and replacing them with fresh ones, all without a single peep of protest from Captain Rattlesnake.

When she finished the job, Tabitha patted her shoulder and whispered, "Good work."

Such simple praise, and yet it made the urge to weep difficult to contain. Elyria chewed on her bottom lip and blinked until it subsided without a single tear falling.

Stew muttered a few unintelligible words and fled the room.

Tabitha set the metal instruments on the tray with a clank. "I'll be back to check on you later," she said softly before leaving.

The Captain let out a weary exhale and gripped Elyria's nearest hand. "You'll stay with me, won't you, Pegleg?"

Elyria's cheeks flushed with delighted heat while she tried to ignore the fluttering in her stomach at his request. Caressing his brow with her left hand, she gently squeezed his fingers with her right. "Yes."

"Good," He whispered, squeezing her hand in return.

Hoping he hadn't tipped over the washbasin or chair during his outburst, she reached out to their usual location and smiled upon finding them both upright.

"You realize," she murmured while sitting for fear her wobbly legs would give out. Dipping the cloth into the bowl, she wrung out the excess water and began mopping his brow. "Now that you've called me Pegleg in public, everyone will wonder if I really have a wooden leg and only use my walking stick to avoid suspicion."

A tired chuckle escaped him.

"I have a joke for you. Care to hear it?"

"Sure," he said, a smile tinging his voice.

She cleared her throat and brushed the cloth softly across his forehead. "How do you catch a polar bear?"

"I don't know. How?"

The cloth left his skin, followed by a brief hesitation before she said, "You cut a hole in the ice and place some peas around it. When he comes around to take a pea, you kick him in the ice hole."

Everett choked on a laugh. "I'll have to remember that one. It's quite good."

Elyria smiled. "It's one of my brother's favorites. When he was younger, he drove my parents mad, reciting it any chance he got."

"I don't know what surprises me more," Everett said with a chuckle, "that you told me such a joke or that you've delivered the punch line as though imparting a vital kernel of wisdom."

She grew quiet and dipped the cloth back in the water. "You don't care for Stewart?"

He let out a pained laugh. "Is it that obvious?"

She smiled, returning the damp rag to his forehead, and cradled the left side of his face in her palm. "Subtle is not a word I associate with you, Captain Rattlesnake."

"Can you blame me? He and oaf number two dropped me twice within the first three seconds of meeting me."

She clucked her tongue and smoothed the cloth across his brow, "I wouldn't like him much either if I were in your position."

"Well," he said in a drowsy slur, "I like you."

A delicious warmth bloomed within her chest at his words, and she couldn't stop herself from admitting quietly, "I like you too."