46

By the second week of February, Elyria found herself entering into a new level of pain and discomfort. Though how such a thing could be possible, she would never understand.

She'd suffered through the entirety of January stuck in bed, not that she'd have been able to move if she'd wanted to. Her belly had grown so large that she couldn't roll from side to side to change position without help from Everett or Sally.

Tears were at an all-time high, often without Elyria able to know what brought them on in the first place. Which would then bring more on until she'd been reduced to a blubbering, miserable mess.

"There's a letter for ya," Sally softly said upon entering the bedroom. She was a kind, soft-spoken woman whom Elyria had immediately grown fond of. "Would ya like me to read it, or do ya want Everett to when he gets home?"

Elyria wiped tears from her eyes and sniffled. "What time is it?" She bit back a groan and held her belly with her left hand while she adjusted her pillows with her right.

Sally quietly helped slide the pillows into position, then sat in her chair near the bed, "Just after 2:00."

Elyria grimaced and blew out a breath. Everett wouldn't be home from school for another hour and a half, at least. "Please read it; hopefully, it'll distract me."

After opening the letter, Sally delicately cleared her throat, then began to read in a soft, clear voice,

Thursday, January 29, 1920

Dearest El and Everett,

I've so much news to share that I feel I shall burst from the excitement. First, let us begin with the most important. I'm beyond thrilled to announce the arrival of Theodore Morton—Simon wants to call him Orie for short, but I'm not sure how I feel about that.

He showed his handsome little face on Tuesday, one week earlier than planned (thank heavens), and has a head full of curly red hair, just like his father. He's simply sublime and has every last one of us, Anne and William included, wrapped around his little finger.

I can't wait for you to meet him and I'm pleased to say you won't have to. Simon purchased the Andrews home there in Malad and sold our home in absolute perfect timing after only having it listed for a day.

We're due to close in three weeks, and I can assure you that the instant we sign the paperwork on the 18th, we'll be on the train heading west.

Train tickets have been purchased, which means we should be in your corner—soon to be our corner—of the world by the 20th (provided no outside forces interfere with my plans). I can barely believe how smoothly and swiftly everything has come together.

We sent our furniture and belongings ahead, so we are living out of suitcases in a hotel now. But it'll all be worth it in the end. Of that, I'm sure.

I hope you're doing better, my dear sweet El. Take courage. We love and think of you all often and look forward to seeing you soon.

Lovingly yours,

Daph

Elyria sniffled and wiped more tears from her eyes. But when they only increased, she buried her face in the pillow as Sally refolded the letter and placed it on the bedside table.

"Can I get ya anythin'?" Sally asked, laying a gentle hand on Elyria's shoulder.

"I'm fine, really I am," Elyria whispered brokenly, "I don't know why I'm crying."

A moment of silence passed, then Sally sat beside Elyria on the bed and took her hand. "Don't be too hard on yourself. It's normal—or so my older sister Celia has said." She paused, her voice laden with quiet heartbreak when she continued, "Marcus and I were never blessed with a baby despite all our years of tryin'."

Elyria adjusted the pillow beneath her head and tucked a lock of hair behind her ear. "How long have you two been married?"

"It'll be sixteen years this comin' May," Sally murmured with a smile in her voice. "Do ya want to know somethin' I don't even think Everett knows?"

Elyria smiled and nodded.

Sally lowered her voice to a whisper and leaned in close, "I'm four years older than him."

"How did you meet?" Elyria said softly, knuckling away several more tears from her eyes.

Sally sat back and let out a sigh. "In school, my last year there before my father pulled me out when my mother died." She chuckled and touched Elyria's hand. "He was the most obnoxious person I'd ever met, but smarter than any other boy—I couldn't help but like him... have ya heard that saying about friendship, not startin' till someone chooses ya?"

Elyria shook her head. "No."

"Oh... well, now ya have. When Marcus was a few years older, about seventeen, I think, he told me that the day we met, he chose me. Didn't want anyone 'cept me the rest of his life and set out to impress me with his smartness." She clucked her tongue, "Like a leech on a toe, I couldn't shake him off me."

Elyria chuckled, "You don't sound too upset about that."

"No, I'm not," Sally laughed. "In no time at all, our friendship blossomed into love, and it didn't matter how many times I tried to reason with the goat 'bout the differences in our ages. He wouldn't have it any other way... not even after we were told a couple of years ago I'd never be able to give him babies."

Tears stung Elyria's eyes anew, and she fought to keep them back. "He's a good man, Sally."

"He really is," Sally agreed, her voice choked with emotion. Then, clearing her throat, she stood and poured a glass from the pitcher on the bedside table. "Better have another glass. Doc said ya needed to stay hydrated, and with all the cryin' we've done, you've got some work to do."