32

6:00 pm Thursday, August 28, 1919

Malad City, Idaho

The train whistle pierced the air, followed soon after by the screech of grinding metal when the brakes were engaged, slowly bringing the locomotive to a crawl before it pulled to a stop at the small station.

Elyria's stomach was aflutter with nerves, and her palms were sweaty. But for the life of her, she didn't know why. The past two days on the train had been uneventful and, at moments, dull.

After all, a person or married couple could only do so much to occupy themselves without scandalizing everyone else aboard, regardless of Everett's many attempts to convince her otherwise.

He had quickly established himself as an attentive and loving husband, never far from her side. Sometimes he managed to anticipate her needs. While she found the behavior endearing, there were a few moments it became irritating—like walking her to and from the lavatory, even after she became aware of its location from their seats, to name one.

A warm breeze greeted her, blowing wisps of hair into her face to tickle her nose when Everett guided her off the train to the wooden platform.

She brushed the offending strands away and tucked them behind her ears, trying to concentrate and get her bearings.

The station seemed a veritable hustle and bustle of activity, more so than the last time she'd been there.

Passengers, luggage, and livestock—cows from the sound of it—were being unloaded. They clomped their way across the wooden boardwalk before dirt and grass muffled their steps.

"Ready?" Everett asked, squeezing her hand. "My car is parked up ahead, near the livery."

Nodding, she tightened her grip on her walking stick and followed him across the platform and around the building.

"GOOD EVENING, CAPTAIN MONTROSE," A gravely male voice called out and walked up to them. He sounded like a happy sort, the kind who was instantly able to put a person at ease, despite the fatigue tinging his words. "Nice to have you back in town. I'm assuming this is the new wife Marcus mentioned you'd gone to fetch?"

Everett grumbled a curse under his breath before saying louder, "Evening to you too, Doc," he let go of her hand and settled his arm around the back of her waist. "And yes, this is my wife, Elyria. Elyria, this is Doctor Gilbert; we served together during the war."

"Pleased to meet you, Doctor," she said with a smile.

"She's a far sight better than your first pick, Captain, if you don't mind my saying," he chuckled. "Prettier too, but don't tell Eleanor I said so, or I'll never hear the end of it."

Everett coughed.

"Eleanor," Elyria frowned, "is she your—"

"Ex-fiancé," he muttered, pressing a gentle hand to the small of her back to prod her forward, "she married Doc's youngest son Eustace."

"That she did, and the poor devil hasn't had a moment's peace since."

Elyria choked on a laugh and covered her mouth.

Everett chuckled beside her.

Doc continued, unfazed. "But they seem to love each other to distraction and have managed to produce some attractive offspring, so I suppose that's all a father can hope for." He sighed, then cleared his throat, "Well, I better let you two go. No doubt you're aching to get home after your journey. It's awful nice to meet you, Mrs. Monterose; I look forward to seeing you again."

She bit back a nervous giggle and smiled, "And you, Doctor."

His footsteps across the gravel road receded. Everett let out an aggrieved sigh, steering her in the opposite direction. "Sorry about that, Doc's a good man and an exceptional doctor, but he does tend to be a bit chatty."

"It's all right. He's very likable, even if he did name his son Eustace."

Everett laughed. "I couldn't have said it better myself." Bringing her to a stop, she heard a jangle of keys and then the soft click of a lock. "Your chariot, my love. It's nothing fancy and can be a little temperamental at times, but it saves me from walking all over town."

"Evening, Captain," another male voice said, this one sounding younger than Doc. "Glad to have you back in town. Hey, is that your new wife?"

Heaving a tired sigh, Everett muttered a curse under his breath, then raised his voice and said, "Evening, Gus, glad to be back. We'll catch up later if that's all right?"

"Sure thing, good to meet you, Mrs. Monterose."

Elyria smiled and waved in the man's direction before Everett helped her into the car and shut the door.

Four more people greeted Everett before he managed to get in the car beside her and maneuver the vehicle onto the road toward home.

"I didn't realize you were so popular," she murmured with a smile.

He growled. "Neither did I. Makes me think they've all lost their marbles."

She patted his hand and bit back a smile, "There there, I'm sure Captain Rattlesnake will know how to make them go away if he really wants to."

Everett chuckled, squeezing her hand before the car slowed and turned a corner. "We're almost home... it's about a quarter-mile up ahead from here."

"Home," she said softly. A swarm of butterflies took flight in her belly at the word. Her senses became hyper-aware of every smell and sound until he pulled the car to a gentle stop and then helped her out a moment later.

The air held a crisp, woodsy aroma—the kind that's noticeable after heavy rain—mixed with the pleasant smell of cooking food she didn't know the source of.

"Ready?" He asked with a breathless note of anticipation in his voice. "I thought we might start in the back of the house?"

Elyria nodded and squared her shoulders, "Lead the way, Captain."