47

That evening, Everett arrived home and walked to the door with an extra pep in his step, regardless of the exhaustion he felt was permanent at this point. He owed this newfound energy to Sheriff Ed Simmons arriving at school before he closed up, giving him some of the best news he'd had in a long while.

Bertrand Wagner had been sentenced to twenty years in prison for attempted murder. He couldn't have been more pleased unless the judge suddenly decided to lock him up and throw away the key.

On his drive home, he wondered if it made him an evil man to be filled with glee, knowing dear old Bert would be stuck behind bars?

Before opening the back door, he caught a glimpse of his reflection in a windowpane. Pausing, he checked for horns or some telling feature that might show he'd crossed some unmarked threshold between good and evil.

He ruffled his hair, his grin widening from ear to ear. No horns. He turned and looked at his backside and laughed—no devil's tail. Letting out a pleased sigh, he chuckled and went inside.

The comforting aroma of fried chicken tantalized his senses and had him closing his eyes in rapture. Could this day get any better? His lips bent in the beginnings of a wicked grin. He knew one way it could if Pegleg was up for it.

"Oh good, you're home," Sally said with a grin. She walked up to him and lowered her voice, "She could use a good cuddle."

"A bad day?" He whispered, hanging up his coat.

Sally nodded. "She'll be better once she knows you're here."

"Thanks," he murmured, settling a hand briefly on her arm before walking toward his bedroom. "And thanks for dinner again."

"My pleasure, I'll just finish up and head home. You two have a good night. Let us know if you need anything else."

Everett nodded, stopping in the doorway to their room. "What did the nut say when it sneezed?"

Elyria smiled and pushed herself up onto her left elbow. "I don't know, what?"

He walked in and sat on the bed. "Cashew."

She laughed, shaking her head as she laid back down. "Where'd you hear that one?"

Everett chuckled. "Carson. Want to hear another one?"

"You're in an awfully good mood," she murmured, taking his hand in hers. "Sure."

Everett leaned down, kissed her, and straightened as he said, "What did the trapezoid say to the circle?"

"I didn't think shapes could talk."

"They're crafty little things," he snickered, "any ideas?"

Elyria shook her head.

"You're pointless."

"Of course," she giggled, "very clever. Did Carson come up with that one, too?"

"Ginny Tadlock," he smiled, laying down behind her. Then, smoothing her hair out of the way, he kissed her nape and the crook of her neck as he gently massaged her lower back. "I love you."

She reached a hand back and settled it low on his hip. "I love you."

After a few minutes passed in silence, they heard Sally leave through the front door. Elyria took his right hand from her back and curled it around her belly. "How is Carson?"

"Much better," Everett murmured, closing his eyes. "Oh, and speaking of Carson, Ed Simmons dropped by before I left school tonight."

Elyria hmmm'd but said nothing further.

"Bert got sentenced to twenty years for that attack of his here; found him guilty of attempted murder and a few other charges. Ed said they're carting him off to serve his sentence as we speak."

She turned back to look at him, "That's a relief... where at?"

He opened his mouth to speak but fell silent when he felt a kick in her belly. "Did you feel that?"

She giggled, pressing his hand flat for another kick. "They've both been trying to stretch their legs all day. One of them particularly enjoys kicking my bladder. The other one..." she moved his hand further up, "is attempting to do a pirouette under my ribs."

Everett sat up and closed his eyes, waiting for it to happen again, "What does it feel like inside?"

"It changes," she murmured. "Sometimes it's more of a soft jab; other times, it can be quite sharp and painful." Elyria blew out a breath, then winced and pressed a hand to her side. "They're running out of room, though."

He pressed three more kisses to her neck in quick succession, then stood, "Idaho Penitentiary."

She frowned and looked at him like he'd lost his mind, "City Hall."

"No," he laughed, shaking his head. "I just remembered you'd asked where Bert would be going to serve his sentence. The Idaho Penitentiary up in Boise—almost three hundred miles away. Too bad it's not a little farther... the moon perhaps."

"Ah, I see," Elyria giggled. "You had me confused. I thought we were just naming buildings."

"That is my favorite game to play," He chuckled. "Are you hungry? Sally made fried chicken."

"I am, actually," she said, "will you help me sit up first?"

After getting her comfortable and surrounded by pillows, Everett hummed a tune while he limped to the kitchen and prepared two plates with food.

"Daphne wrote," Elyria called out, "they've had a little boy... named him Theodore. Simon wants to call him Orie for short."

Everett added another drumstick to his plate and licked his fingers. "I knew an Orie once. Down in Colorado. He was obsessed with Ferris wheels after going on one while on a trip to New England with his parents."

Throwing a clean dish towel over his right shoulder, he grabbed two forks and both their plates and walked back to their room. "He had a lisp and a big gap in his two front teeth he used to shoot water out of."

When he got to the doorway, he froze. His heart hammered against his ribs, and his gut clenched with fear. Elyria sat on the bed, both arms wrapped around her belly, weeping.

Not seeing any blood on the quilt, he hurried over and set their plates and forks on the dresser before perching beside her on the bed.

"What's wrong?" He asked in a building panic as he cradled her face. "Are you in pain?"

She shook her head and cried harder.

His panic began to dissipate. Adjusting his position on the bed, he carefully pulled Elyria into his arms and held her until she calmed down enough to speak.

"I'm fine," she brokenly said against his shoulder. "it's just—I started thinking of how happy you were tonight and how Daphne's got a new baby and..."

When she didn't elaborate further, he wiped the tears from her cheeks and kissed her temple. "So these are happy tears?"

She nodded with a sniffle and pulled back. "I love you."

"I know, Pegleg," he murmured, biting back a grin, "I love you too."