10

Elyria's heart raced, due in part to having told him of her accident—and the memories of her brother it evoked. But also because she'd been incapable of knowing how to help him.

Ever since losing her sight, she'd fought to show to herself or anyone watching that she was just as capable as everyone else.

And for the most part, she succeeded. Thanks in large part to her family's encouragement. As a result, she could navigate around town, cook, dress herself, style her own hair, and even sew to a certain extent—all with little to no assistance in most cases.

But she'd been useless today and could have made the situation worse. What if he'd seriously hurt himself in his fall?

The thought made her ill. Why had she thought that volunteering in a hospital would be a good decision?

Oblivious to her distress, the Captain rolled flat on his back with a groan. "Do you believe your life is better now than before your accident?"

She gave herself a mental shake and swallowed the tears tightening her throat before answering, "In some ways."

"If you were in my position...what would you do?"

It was too much. Elyria's raw and ragged emotions were too close to the surface. She needed to leave before they got the better of her, she thought in a panic. Grabbing her walking stick, she stood. "I would do what I did back then. Rest." Her bottom lip wobbled, and tears spilled from her lashes. "And try again."

"You're leaving?"

"I'll return shortly," she said, knowing she'd failed to keep her distress from her voice and yet not caring.

If running from his room without becoming disoriented could have been possible, she would have done so. But frankly, she didn't want to escape, only to end up colliding with a wall. Or Nurse Winters.

"Elyria," Daphne called out from behind her. "Is everything all right?"

Elyria clamped her trembling lips shut and shook her head, desperate to get outside where the walls weren't caving in, starving her of air. She walked as fast as she dared, wiping furiously at the moisture on her face. Only ten more steps, and she'd make it to the East door.

Five. Four. Three. Two.

She flung the door open, stumbled down the three steps leading to the lawn, and then turned toward the garden path. But she didn't make it far before her legs buckled, and she fell to her knees.

Choking on a sob, she buried her face in her hands.

"Oh, Elyria," Daphne murmured a minute later, kneeling beside her and wrapping her arms around her.

"What am I doing here?" Elyria sobbed.

"Horrible Nurse Winters didn't say something to you again, did she? I swear that woman feeds on the souls of small children."

"No," she wept against Daphne's shoulder, "that isn't why I'm crying."

A brief pause, then Daphne asked gently, "Stephen?"

"Partly," Elyria nodded.

Daphne held her while she cried for the Captain, the panic and uselessness she'd felt moments ago. But most of all, for everything she had lost and would never get back.

It didn't go unnoticed that in her current situation and frame of mind, she and the Captain had much more in common than she first acknowledged.

When the storm of emotion had spent itself, Elyria sniffled and pulled away. "I'm sorry if I've made a mess of your uniform."

"Don't you worry." Daphne wiped Elyria's tears away with a soft handkerchief. "Tears are a reprieve compared to the other bodily fluids it has encountered." She smoothed wisps of hair from Elyria's face and lifted her chin with a finger. "Do you want to talk about it?"

Elyria closed her eyes and shook her head. If she began talking and dissecting it, she'd only start crying again. "No, I'll be fine."

"Should you change your mind," Daphne murmured gently, "I'll be here. Not in this exact spot, mind you, but you know what I mean."

"Thank you."

"May I ask just one question? And then I promise to let the matter rest."

Elyria gave a teary smile and allowed Daphne to help her stand. "Only one?"

Daphne laughed, patting her hand. Then she muttered, "You know me too well." They'd taken a few steps back toward the hospital before she pulled Elyria to a stop. "Has the Captain said something to upset you?"

Yes, she wanted to say, but it wouldn't have been fair to him.

How could he have been aware of the impact his question would have on her? If she had taken a little more time to grieve the loss of Stephen, she might have been able to handle the situation better.

"Not in the way you're thinking," Elyria brokenly whispered.

"So, I don't need to go in there and put Captain Rattlesnake in his place? Because I will."

Elyria wrapped her arm around Daphne's waist and rested her head on her shoulder. "No... the Captain isn't at fault here."

Daphne let out a good-natured humph and hugged Elyria to her before pulling away, "Well, I expect you to inform me the moment he is."

Elyria smiled and followed Daphne back inside. "I will."

They stopped once more. Daphne took Elyria's hands and whispered, "Your Captain is quite handsome under those bandages... even with the scars."

"Why are you telling me this?"

Leaning in close, Daphne wiped a tear from Elyria's cheek and said in a conspiratorial whisper, "Because if it were me, I'd want to know if the wounded and angry old snake I was falling for is a handsome one or not."

"Who said I'm falling for him?" Elyria gasped.

"No one, honey," Daphne kissed her cheek and tucked a lock of hair behind Elyria's ear. "It's written plain as day all over your face every time you're with him."

Elyria moaned, mortified. "Does he know?"

"Only if he's been faking being blind this whole time."