28

Thursday, July 31, 1919

Elyria stood beside Everett, his right arm wrapped around her, hugging her close. They waited on the steps of city hall while the wedding photographer positioned them to take their last picture before they returned home for their wedding lunch.

Mother's favorite silver lace scarf, carefully hidden away in Elyria's cedar chest, served for her veil. A strand of pearls with carefully placed bobby pins held it on her head.

New cream leather boots, a half size too small, adorned her feet. Or, more correctly, constricted her toes and made her wish she'd listened to Everett and worn her regular dress shoes.

But Daphne's eight-year-old wedding gown of floor-length matte satin, interwoven with a design of silver leaves and lovers' knots, hugged her body as though it had been made for her.

Elyria smoothed a hand down the material and lightly pinched her thigh to remind herself she wasn't dreaming. She and Everett really were married now.

To complete what Daphne declared her to be earlier that morning as 'the ideal picture of a bride,' her bouquet held sprigs of blue forget-me-nots artfully arranged amongst the yellow buttercups.

Overall, the morning and brief wedding ceremony had come together perfectly. Especially when considering the short amount of time they'd had to pull it off.

"Now everyone, hold still...and in 1, 2, 3—smile," The wedding photographer commanded. Once the flash exploded, signaling the picture had been taken, Elyria relaxed and squeezed Everett's hand.

He leaned down and kissed her forehead, "What do you say we skip the wedding lunch and go somewhere we can be alone?"

"I heard that," Daphne murmured with a smile in her voice.

"Remind me," he whispered loudly, "to improve my level of sneakiness while in Daphne's proximity."

"Good luck with that," Daphne chuckled. "Now, what do you say we go eat? I'm starving."

"Me too, mama," Anne whined.

"Goodness, you'd think she hasn't eaten for days," Daphne teased. "All right, everybody to the cars. Let's go home."

Everett led Elyria to his rental and then ran to his side and climbed in. Within minutes, they were on the road. "You look happy."

She turned to him and smiled—in truth, she hadn't been able to stop since he'd proposed. "I am."

He grabbed her hand, his thumb caressing back and forth across her knuckles. "I'm glad... I'd be worried if I was the only one."

She laughed and rested her head on his shoulder. "I don't think I've ever been as happy as the way I am right now."

"Me either," he said softly, "except for maybe yesterday or the night before that." He fell quiet for a moment before adding, "Any idea where we're going on our honeymoon?"

"No," she pouted with a shake of her head. "I couldn't get Anne or Daphne to tell me a thing."

"Good."

"What did you have to use to bribe them to such secrecy?"

A bark of laughter escaped him. "Let's just say I had Simon's help on the matter. He knows his wife and daughter well."

Elyria grumbled good-naturedly and sighed, "Have I told you today that I love you?"

"Only once," he murmured, maneuvering the car over before bringing it to a stop.

"Well, then... remind me to do so later. I don't want you to get tired of hearing it."

He shut the engine off and turned to face her, "I'll never tire of it."

Reaching up a timid hand, she cradled his face to bring him close for a kiss, but just before their lips touched, there came a sharp tap on her window.

"There's plenty of time for that later, you two love birds," Daphne chuckled from outside.

Everett growled low in his throat and delivered a quick, passionate kiss before pulling away. "Say the word, and I'll drive us to the hotel."

A nervous giggle escaped Elyria, and she pressed a hand to her burning lips. His offer tempted and sent a thrill of excitement through her. But even though she longed to be alone with him, knowing what lay ahead also terrified her.

Daphne had spent a solid three hours last night talking about what she might expect from her wedding night. And while most of it sounded rather enjoyable, she couldn't help but be apprehensive.

"What's wrong?" He asked gently, caressing the side of her face. "You've gone pale."

Elyria closed her eyes and took a deep, fortifying breath. "Let's go eat, shall we? I'm famished." A lie told out of desperation, of course. The very thought of food at that moment made her stomach turn.

Everett remained silent but gave her a tender kiss before helping her out of the vehicle.

The wedding lunch, which consisted of chicken cordon bleu, garlic roasted potatoes, honey-glazed carrots, and strawberry cream parfaits for dessert—all Daphne's specialties—was a small but happy affair.

By the time the clock in the hallway chimed the hour of three, Elyria regretted eating everything on her plate to stall for more time.

"When does your train leave tomorrow?" Daphne asked while starting to clear the dishes from the table.

Everett stood, resting a gentle hand on Elyria's right shoulder. "Eleven in the morning."

"Goodness, you better get going then," Daphne teased, walking into the kitchen. She set the dishes down with a clatter and hurried back to the dining room and over to Elyria.

Leaning down so only she could hear, Daphne whispered, "You look more scared than a three-legged raccoon rafting Niagara Falls."

Elyria let out a nervous laugh and closed her eyes. "How would you know what that looks like?"

"I have a very vivid imagination." She gave Elyria's shoulders a gentle squeeze. "It's normal to be nervous about your wedding night; just remember what I told you last night, and you'll be alright."

Elyria nodded and took a fortifying breath.

"What exactly did you tell her last night?" Everett asked suspiciously.

Daphne straightened and said with a tone full of mischief, "I assume you've been to a rodeo, Captain; what with living in Idaho, you must have."

Simon groaned. "Please don't tell me you used the rodeo analogy on her last night?"

Elyria bit back a laugh and covered her mouth.

"Of course I did," Daphne said, struggling to hold back a giggle. "It's very apt for a wedding night, and you know it."

"I have been to a rodeo; I even tried my hand at riding bulls a few years ago," Everett said, his voice full of confusion. "Only lasted a second or two."

Daphne squeezed Elyria's shoulder. "Excellent, then you understand."

"No," Everett said slowly, "I'm afraid I don't."

"Don't worry, Captain... Elyria can explain it to you later tonight."