Chapter 4: Peace of Mind

[Warning: This chapter contains strong language, frightening imagery, and blood.]

✧༺♥༻∞  ∞༺♥༻✧

"Ch-changbin?" I stuttered. Tears began to slide down my face. My arms trembled in fear as my worst nightmare had come true. A creepy, psychotic grin stretched across his face. It was at that very moment I knew that it was not my best friend.
"No. You're not him." I choked roughly. Changbin tilted his head to the side and walked a bit closer to me.
"Oh? I'm not? Then who am I?" He shrugged.

"Youre-" I began to say

"Youre-" I began to say. "-you're the s-spirit wh-who inhabits the stone. A-aren't you?" I say carefully. Changbin's face resembled a hawk. His longing gaze pierced into my soul with sunken features. It was like it was Changbin, but it wasn't.
"I am."

"What do you want?"

"What do YOU want, Lee Know?"

I narrow my eyes at him.
"Wh-what? Don't play fucking games with me. You've ruined my life!!" I snarled while jumping up to my feet. I didn't care that my body hurt and was bleeding. I wanted answers. Changbin, however, kept standing there staring at me. His body ever so slightly swaying back and forth.

Is he possessed? W-what is this? C-can stupid shit like this even happen?

"You are the one that disturbed my sleep. You silly alive folk and your fascination with digging up old history. Perhaps it should be left alone, hm? Instead of being excavated for your own personal gain."
I listened to the words of the spirit even though it didn't make sense to me. I shook my head.
"Y-you misunderstand. We don't do it for what you th-think. We want to learn about how you lived! About how people ate and what they did for a living. This is my job! How can you blame me?!" I take an angry step forward, completely overtaken by my frustration. Changbin threw back his head in laughter.

"Quite the contrary. You only steal, blunder, and kill. You, do not care for our history."

"P-please, give me back my best friend. He... hasn't done anything to you." I take another step towards him.
"Y-you're the reason why he disappeared, right? You are angry at me and wanted to get my attention, correct?" I take another slow step and reach out my hand. Whether or not that was a good idea, I did it anyway. With every move I made, his eyes would follow it. His sudden head tilts and small behavioral ticks and twitches were inhuman. It made my skin crawl.
"Don't make me laugh!" He kicked me and I flew back onto the floor. I groaned in pain. I tried to pull myself back up to my feet. I struggled to do so. Before I could regain my composure, he jumped on me and held me down. His face an inch from mine.

"You think I did this for attention? Let alone to establish my level of anger? You know what I could really do to rile you up?" He sunk his fingers into my skin, which made me cry.
"F-fuck! S-stop please!" I begged.

Suddenly, I was released and he stepped away from me.
"How about I kill him?" He pulled out a knife from his pocket and held it to his own throat. My eyes widened in fear and I scrambled to my feet.
"N-no p-please!" I sob hard as my face was now a waterfall. The thought of him dying was something that I could not bare to see.