Chapter Thirteen

For days after the Weasley's had been pranked, students clapped Maxine and her friends on the back, laughing and congradulating them on getting back at the Weasley twins.

But of course, for days Maxine was also terrified that at any moment she was going to get pranked again. And that maybe, something more worse and more embarrassing than peeing her pants was going to happen.

That fear was what triggered Maxine to be completely terrified when the Weasley's stormed into the library one day after classes. At first, Maxine, Heidi, and Tamsin hoped desperately that Fred and George were simply there coincidentally. But when the twins turned and began marching towards the table that the girls were working on their potions assignment, Maxine felt as though she was going to pee herself, this time completley on her own.

Fred reached the table first, a look of irritation and mischeif on his face. In his right hand he held a sheet of parchment that had rows of his loopy handwriting on it.

"Hello, Beater Girl," he stared hard at Maxine through strands of his red hair. He didn't even glance at Tamsin or Heidi before saying "and friends."

"Weasley,' Maxine quietly greeted. Her left leg began bouncing rapidly. She glanced from Fred to George quickly, worried about what the hell they were here for.

Heidi tilted her head and them and rose an eyebrow. "Can we help you?"

"Yes! In fact you can," Fred slammed the sheet of parchment on table, causing Maxine to jump slightly. "Your devious act the other day made Georgie and I do a little bit of thinking."

"And we..." George tapped the sheet of parchment. "have a proposition."

At the top of the parchment in curly capital letters, and underlined for emphasis, read the words PRANK WAR.

Maxine rose an eyebrow and examined the parchment causiously. Under the title there were rules and exceptions listed, along with places to be signed at the bottom. She looked up at the twins. "A prank war?"

The twins nodded, and Maxine looked at Tamsin and Heidi before the three of them burst into a fit of laughter.

"You want to start a prank war?" Maxine repeated. She picked up the paper and continued to laugh as she skimmed through it. There were clauses and amendments, which were scratched in the margins of the parchment. Some of the rules were basic, such as not involving random students or reporting each other to the teachers or intentionally causing injury or death. Others were rather random, like not involving monkies into anything. "Really?"

"Well it seems as though this year is just going to be a cycle of revenge pranks, so why not just be professional about it," Fred shrugged and tapped the paper.

George pulled up a chair, sat and put his feet up on the table, right in front of Heidi's face. "So all you have to do is sign the bottom, and we will get on with our lifes of pranking each other merclessly."

Wrinkling her nose, Heidi pushed George's feet of the table with enough force that he fell out of his chair with a loud welp. Luckily they were in the back of the library, where no one could hear them.

"And if we don't?" Tamsin crossed her arms and leaned back in her chair.

George sat stood back up and narrowed his eyes at Heidi, who paid no mind as she took her turn looking over the contact. "Then there will be no rules."

"And no limitations as to how far these pranks will go," Fred added. "Now if you sign, you also have the ability to add a couple of your own rules. Lee will also be involved, however due to his detention with Snape, he could sadly not be here."

Maxine squinted at Fred for a moment before scoffing and rolling her eyes. The tiny ignorant part of her brain highly doubted that the twins would continue to prank them if they didnt sign the stupid prank war contract. They may be immature, but they weren't chilren. Eventually the would give up.

She looked at her friends, who showed just as much of a lack of interest as she did. Standing up, Maxine reached over and plucked the parchment out of Heidi's hands.

"You know what?" Maxine held the top of the paper with both of her hands, with the simple intent to tear it in half. "I think we'll pass this time. Try us again next year."

Maxine began to tear the parchment, right through the words "Fred and George Weasley and Lee Jordan hereby decare a prank war against Maxine O'Flaherty, Heidi Macavoy, and Tamsin Applebee..."

However instead of looking surprised or belittled, tiny smirks crossed Fred and George's faces. And then with a loud bang, peices of confetti began to fly from the tear in the parchment into Maxine's face, causing her to trip backwards onto the floor in surprise. From the floor, Maxine watched as the prank war contract fused back together and drifted to the table.

She stared at the twins, who began to laugh hysterically with their hands on their knees. Maxine gritted her teeth in irritation and was pulled to her feet by Heidi and Tamsin.

With rainbow confetti in her hair and anger painted in her face, she held out her hand. "Hand me my quill."

Slowly, Heidi placed Maxine's quill in her hand. The twins stopped laughing, and watched her with sly looks on their faces. And as she scribbled her name on one of the lines at the bottom of the contract, Maxine looked Fred directly into his dark blue eyes.

"It is on, Weasley."