Chapter Fourteen

It didn't take long for Maxine to regret her desicion of signing that silly prank war contract. And she was angry at herself for only signing it out of fury.

Tamsin and Heidi were also a bit annoyed with her actions of signing it. In the three weeks since the prank war had been initiated, the three of them had been tripped, had green paint dropped on them from the cieling, and had been clued to chairs.

Maxine's lack of creativity made their participation in the war even more difficult. It was hard not to repeat pranks that had already been done to them and very difficult to think of ideas that wouldn't get them into massive trouble.

As Maxine had done once in the past, the three had made another list of prank ideas on a piece of parchment one day after quidditch practice. They sat on Heidi's bed, each throwing in random ideas, before throwing them out after contemplating their work. Maxine snacked on cornbread she snagged from dinner, Tamsin braided a loose piece of Heidi's hair as Heidi burried her face in her pillow.

"What if..." Maxine said with a mouthful of bread. "we drew dicks all over their potions homework before they turned it into Snape?"

Tamsin snorted but shook her head. "That would make him just end up thinking that they're gay. That wouldn't do much."

"Considering that its not too far off from the truth," Heidi laughed from the depths of her pillow.

Maxine did a slight eyeroll and tapped her chin with the end of her quill. Tamsin, undoing the braid she was doing in Heidi's hair, hummed. "We could dress up as dementors. Scare 'em or something."

Lifting her head up, Heidi laughed again. "We would get in too much trouble for that. No thank you."

Dropping Heidi's hair, Tamsin moved to sit next to Maxine and took a look over her shoulder at the list of pranks she had laid out. After a moment she glanced up at Heidi who was now sitting up and snagging pieces of Maxine's cornbread. "Heidi, what if you talked to your friend Spinnet? I mean her monkey idea was really good."

"Can't," Maxine interupted, sighing and tossing the parchment aside. "The contract said we couldn't involve other people. I assume that includes asking for prank ideas."

Tamsin whisteled lowly. "Welp, I think we might be screwed."

|

During the next Hogsmeade weekend, the girls decided it would be a good idea to head to the shops to see if anything sparked their creativity. It was the very end of November and it was, in Maxine's words, "bloody fucking freezing." A thick frost covered the ground and their breath was clearly visible in cold air.

"I vote we go to The Three Broomsticks first," Tamsin shivered violently under her brown coat. "A butter beer would be nice. Or honestly just a beer."

The three of them headed straight to the Three Broomsticks, where they took a booth in the back of the restaurant. Maxine pulled of her hat and mittens but kept her thick blue jacket on to help stop her own shiver.

After the waiter brought back their three large Butter Beers that they ordered, the girls indulged in their warmth and began planning.

"I think..." Heidi drummed her fingers on her jaw and squinted. Tamsin and Maxine glanced at each other as their friend trailed off. She remained quiet for a moment, and then her eyes went wide. "I think I have an idea."

"Well, share it," Maxine urged.

"What if," Heidi leaned back with a smirk on her pink lips. "we redid all of their famous pranks?"

For a moment, they were quiet as they tried to understand what Heidi was suggesting.

"I don't -- I don't think I know what you're getting at." Maxine frowned. She knew Heidi probably was stirring a plan up in that brilliant mind of hers, but her lack of creativity was preventing her from quite understanding.

"Think about it, Max," Heidi leaned forward against the table. "Those boys are expecting us to do something new, so they are probably thinking of new ideas in order to one-up us. If we copy some of their old, most note worthy pranks, it will totally catch them off guard."

Tamsin made an "Ahh," sound and Maxine smirked. "Heidi, that's genius."

With a toothy grin, Heidi nodded. "They've done a lot of simple things, with just shit from Zonko's-"

A waitress bussing a nearby table frowned at Heidi's language. Heidi always had a potty mouth.

"-so most of it will be easy to replicate."

Maxine took a long sip of butter and nodded along with Heidi and Tamsin. "And we can add our own little badger twist."