xiv. snow fluffs

xiv. snowfluffs

When, as per James' demand, Albus does tell Rose about his dark ability, he is met with instant indignation.

"So you've had this ability for - what? Years? Years?"

They're in the farthest corner of the library, right next to the Restricted section, which is not wise. What was once an obscure spot for scheming or snogging (Albus can attest to doing both) has now, ironically, become a rather popular obscure spot that anybody, at any point, could walk right into.

"Keep your voice down, Rose," Albus says sharply. He'd never dreamed he'd tell Rose to be quiet in a library but here they are, scowling at one another fiercely.

"Look." He sighs. "It wasn't as though you were the only one out of the loop. James only found out because I lit myself on fire by accident - " Rose's eyes widen and Albus gives one dismissive wave of his hand, as if to say 'It was nothing', "and now you know. Only the two of you. I've tried to avoid thinking about it around Lily, so she can't pick up on it through her Legilimency."

Rose frowns. "And Scorpius?"

Albus feels the back of his neck prickle at the mention of his name. Scorpius. It's November now - early November, and the windows are always frosty, the way Scorpius used to like it - and he hasn't had so much as a brief peep from him through fire-call. Albus had thought that by now, surely by now, he would have attempted some contact. Scorpius doesn't like breaking the rules but that doesn't mean he doesn't do it anyway. Albus was almost reassured by all those lonely nights in the Slytherin common-room that one day he'd get a conspicuous sign of him. He couldn't dream of an owl - no that'd be too risky - but maybe a coded message, a whiff of him that was distinctly Malfoy. Just something.

"No." Albus shakes his head. "I never told Scorpius."

Rose gets off the reading desk she was perching on.

"Nothing?" She sounds surprised - shocked, even. "I always thought - "

"No, Rose," Albus tsks impatiently. "It isn't something you just - you just talk about in the middle of a - a snogging session."

"Oh come off it, Al," Rose snaps irritably back at him. "You and I both know you two shared everything with each other. It was intensely irritating sometimes, but you both thought in...in...pairs. It's what makes you match so much."

"That makes no sense," he lies. She makes perfect sense, as usual. But lately, the thought of Scorpius alone leaves him with a nauseated feeling. Not because he doesn't love him anymore - far from it - but because of how hollow his insides feel. Like he's perpetually hungry.

"Look, when Scorp comes back - "

"If."

"When," Rose insists, pressing the pad of her thumb to Albus's palm gently, "he comes back, you'll tell him too. I'm clever but I'll admit I need him when I'm stuck. And I know why you're telling me all of this. It's because you need help sorting this mess out, don't you? Of course I'll help, but when Scorpius comes back, he'll need to know. He of all people deserves to know."

Albus swallows the lump in his throat. "What if he gets mad? What if he thinks I don't trust him, or I - "

"One problem at a time, Al," Rose cuts in again and this time she gives him one of her Uncle Ron smiles. The sort that he reserves for Harry, his best friend. Albus can't help but feel that peculiar hum of affection course through him - a mixture of exasperation and fondness that he can only ever attribute to his bond with his obstinate cousin.