Truth

Merlin's POV

My scars. They had seen them. At least Arthur had seen them. I was repeating his question in my head. 'We need to talk about your scars.' What I could tell about them. Nothing. I would have to lie if I wanted to keep my secrets only for myself. And if I tell them, I would also need to reveal that I have magic. There's no way that's going to happen.

"What scars?" I asked even though I perfectly knew what he was talking about. I said it while watching my feet. I couldn't look at anyone in the eyes.

"You know what scars. Those damn scars that cover your whole body", Gwaine said trying to be calm.

"Oh, those. Yeah... umm..." I had no idea what to say. My gaze focused on Lancelot, who was sitting in front of my feet. He looked at me with understanding and concerned eyes. Because he knew about my magic, he probably knew why I had my scars but he didn't have known that I had so many. He nodded at me like saying everything was going to be alright. Nothing was going to be fine.

I lifted my gaze up to Arthur's eyes. He was definitely feeling betrayed. 'What he would think about my magic then?'

"Don't play stupid Merlin, just tell us", he demanded.

"Do you remember waking up at night?" Leon asked. I glanced at him.

"No..."

"You were like being possessed. And your wound opened again", Percival explained. I didn't have any memory of waking up at night.

Then it hit me. My dream. I had seen a dream of me being executed. Arthur had been there, and Gwen. And a big pyre. Was it even a dream or did I see some kind of a vision? I haven't seen any vision before so hopefully, it was just a dream.

"Merlin?" Arthur said trying to get my attention. I couldn't look at him. He would soon hate me.

"You know I'm clumsy", I tried. "I..."

"No one gets scars like that by being clumsy", Arthur interrupted. And he was right.

The anxiety in me was growing. Fear of being not understood. Fear of being executed. And of course the fear of being hated and discriminated by my friends. Every lies I had ever told and every secret were killing me. I couldn't take it anymore. Tears started to fill up in my eyes. I quickly swiped them off but everyone noticed them.

"Merlin", Arthur said with a slightly sad tone in his voice. Now I had the courage to bring my eyes to his. He seemed to be amazed by my emotional response.

"Okay, I will tell you everything. But you won't like it", I said trying to keep my voice steady. Everyone was silent when I took a better position and cleared my throat. I was just going to say it aloud. 'I have magic.' Either they accept me or they don't. And I was really hoping they would.

"Ihavemagic", I blurted out. They were looking at me clearly not understanding so I said it again this time slowly: "I have magic."

I lifted up my glance to see their reactions. Lancelot was smiling sadly. He already knew so it wasn't a surprise. Other's expressions on their faces were full of astonishment, betrayal and maybe a bit of fear. I turned to Arthur, who was staring at me in disbelief. Suddenly I felt the need that I had to get them to understand.

"If I have magic, it doesn't mean I'm evil. I didn't even choose magic, but I was born with it. I'm a warlock", I was explaining.

"That's not possible. I have never heard that someone would be born with magic", Elyan said quickly.

Before I had time to answer, Leon said: "Actually I have heard of warlocks. My mom once told me about them." He looked at me and nodded like encouraging me to continue. I was about to keep explaining but Gwaine was faster.

"Why you didn't tell us?" He asked.

"Actually Lancelot knew." Everyone turned their attention to Lancelot, who slowly nodded. "He found out by accident when I killed the griffin", I continued. Everyone went silent for a moment.

"I thought Lancelot killed the griffin", Arthur said cutting off the silent. It was the first time he said anything after I revealed my magic. He didn't look angry, more like betrayed. I just shook my head.

"I didn't tell you because I didn't want to put you in that position where you should decide between me and Camelot's laws. I guess I was hoping I wouldn't have to tell you at all", I explained with a sad smile.

Arthur's POV

I was staring at Merlin, who was explaining his reasons, why he kept his magic in secret. I understood him even though it was frustrating to know he had kept secrets all this time. But could I trust him anymore? My father always told how evil sorcerers are. How they try to destroy everything good in this world. 'But Merlin isn't like that, right?' He was...is my friend. I think.

"What about your scars?" Gwaine asked. He was obviously feeling a little betrayed because Merlin hadn't trusted him with the secrets.

Merlin started to tell about all those times he had saved me. Everything was clear now. I had always thought that I had some kind of guardian angel on my side because it was impossible to be just luck how things always turned out. For example, falling branches on the bandits in their attack.

Some of the things he had done sounded unbelievable. He had been stung by a serket, he had been captured, tortured, he had almost died countless times and he had known about Morgana. When I asked him, why he didn't tell me about her, he told I wouldn't have believed him. That was true. Morgana's betrayal had been completely surprising.

Now when I looked at Merlin almost smiling to my knights, when he told about some time he had to pretend to be an old sorcerer, I knew I still trusted him. After all, he did. He was still my friend. And if there was even one thing I could do to keep him safe. I knew I would do it. And there was.

"We need to do one thing when we get home. We need to execute Merlin", I said calmly.

All the knights and Merlin turned their faces to me. The knights looked me with stunned faces. And Merlin. His eyes were filled with horror.

"Just kidding", I said laughing. They smiled a little but apparently, that wasn't a good joke in their opinion. Maybe that was a bad joke.

"The real thing we need to do, when we get home is to make magic legal", I said with a smile.

__________________________________

Hi guys, thanks for all the reads. Now I'm starting to write another Merlin fanfic and it's prince Merlin AU!

:)