Prologue

" I create my own destiny

I am my own freedom. "

-Sonya Chloé

She gave a small twirl when it began to drizzle

        That's where we'll begin.

               Droplets slid down her arms as she lifted them gracefully, her bare feet slowly gliding across the rooftop floor- elegantly leaping once- before coming to a halt, like she was second-guessing her next steps.

               As she thought of what to do, she remained motionless- in the same place she had paused- frozen as everything else that surrounded her moved just fine. She breathed in and out calmly, though she was far from being calm.

              Beneath the surface, she was a jumbled mess. Thinking, no-- calculating how she should progress. But at the same time, she heavily scrutinized herself- pointing out every mistake she could find in her performance, just like her mother and her instructor would always do- which in turn, hindered her from being able to go on.

              She grit her teeth in frustration, face tinged with disappointment directed at herself for she couldn't decide on how to proceed. She stayed still for a few heartbeats more, jaw clenching as she tried to keep her teeth from chattering- the cold finally getting to her- before she gave in.

              Her white dress clung onto her figure as she straightened up, sighing. She tilted her head up towards the sky and closed her eyes, basking in the soft glow of the moonlight and in the sentiment brought about by the feeling of water pelting her bruised skin.

And in that moment she knew what she needed to do.

              She started to move again, faster but less precise this time. And instead of beating herself up for the lack control, she let it go completely- losing herself in the flurry of emotions and the music of the rain.

              For once in her life she just... danced- feeling no need for exactitude, no need to follow a routine, no need to please whom she can't even see.

              She twirled, picking up speed as she continued to spin, and hopped up onto the ledge of the roof- where she continued to dance as if there where no dangers posed.

              Finally feeling content with herself, she slowed into a stop and did a final pose- bending forward over one leg with the other in arabesque well above 90 degrees; a penché.

              She kept that position for just a couple more seconds, before unhurriedly letting up. And when the leg she had lifted was brought down and her foot had touched the ground, she twirled one more time- her dominant hand reaching for the sky, wanting to touch any one of the celestial bodies she could spot- then she let herself fall off of the edge, with her back facing the ground.

              Her damp hair wildly flew around her face as she descended with the downpour and all she could hear was the rushing of the wind. But her eyes remained trailed towards the heavens, fingertips itching to catch even the smallest twinkling orb.

              In a fleeting moment, she caught sight of a shooting star- as if life was giving her one last gift before the both of them parted.

And for the first time in a long while...

She gave a genuine smile.