-5-

"A heart that always understands also gets tired

"A heart that always understands also gets tired."

-unknown

Shadows. 

       Dark, blurring shadows.

              Those were the only things she could make out as they drove through the city, looking for a place to stay for the night—or the early morning, seeing as it was only half-past three a.m. 

               (Y/N) felt exhausted. 

              She had spent the whole day traveling just to get here, only to be turned away at the very last minute by the person her parents had asked to take her in. Truthfully, she was feeling very irritated at the moment, but her expression did not give any indication of this fact. Instead, she stayed silently seated—one leg over the other, arms crossed, and staring out of the car window, at the shadows that the full moon had cast on the open road. 

              She wanted nothing more than to be lying down in bed, alone and unbothered by the rest of the world. But sadly, it seemed that even the world could not let her have that. 

              She gripped her forearms tighter at the sudden bubbling of frustration in her stomach.

Why didn't she fight harder?

       Why wouldn't they just listen?

             Why couldn't she just... just stay? 

                    Stay where everything was easy—

                            where everything was familiar

              She's been nothing but a good kid—spending years trying to put together the mismatched jigsaw pieces that her parents had provided for her to solve on her own. And then when she was finally just one bit away from being able to complete the so-called puzzle that is her life, they take her away from it all—hiding and scattering the pieces once again.