A New Friend?

After the incident, many of the others had started to warm up to me. Every time I passed them in the hallways, averting my eyes, they would say a greeting or just wave. While most others may be pleased with this development, all it did was remind me of my crime. I felt sick to my stomach when I walked into the common rooms, momentary third-person hallucinations plaguing me. When Toby had returned my weapons, clean of all traces of blood, I had yelped and jumped backwards. He was very supportive, thankfully, and gave the weapons to Slenderman so he could care for them while I recovered mentally. Sometimes, late at night, I would rush to the bathroom and bend over the toilet and spend the rest of the night heaving.

The others had begun to notice my change in behaviour, as well. Sally most of all. She had taken to invading my room on a daily basis, sometimes for hours, until she was satisfied I was feeling a little better. Most of the time, though, that was just acting. I felt as though I was never going to be okay, forever plagued by these hallucinations. I mentioned them to EJ once when he asked how I was doing, and he had given me some medication for it. The pills helped suppress them so they didn't happen as often but it was uncontrollable and unpredictable.

A hard knock taps on my door.

"Come in." I mutter, curled up underneath my blanket, facing my wall. The door creaks open and the person walks in. I don't bother to look up and see who it was.

"How long are you going to lay in bed feeling sorry for yourself?" Jeff asks sharply. I don't answer. I couldn't answer.

"You don't know how much this hurts." I whisper eventually. He snorts in disdain.

"Look, kid, I didn't congratulate you just so you could sit around all day hallucinating about dead people. You're letting this happen to you!" He snarls, sitting on the edge of my bed. "We've all killed before. We've all been hurt in some way or another. And yet we moved on. You're not even trying to get better!"

"How am I supposed to?! I see them everywhere! I didn't want to kill them!" I shout back, sitting up and glaring at him. He glares right back at me.

"It doesn't matter if you meant to or not! They're dead, and you're the one who killed them! The sooner you get that through your head, the better! Now get yourself together and stop wasting time!!" He yells, standing abruptly and storming out of the room, slamming my door shut behind him. I stare after him in hatred, laying back on my bed once more. Repeating his words over and over in my head, I realise he had some valid points. I wasn't trying to get better, not really. I wasn't in control of my mind anymore, and this allowed it to create those hallucinations. I sigh and close my eyes, reaching up to press my palms against them.

"God damn it..." I mutter, sitting up and swinging my legs over the edge of my bed. Taking a deep breath, I wait for a moment to close my eyes and calm down. It wouldn't do any good to leave my room looking like I was ready to murder someone. My breathing hitches slightly as I think of the word 'murder' but I quickly push through, reaching for my pills and taking an extra one, just in case. I head for the door and push it open, glancing down the hallway both ways for Jeff but he seems to have disappeared. I head to the common rooms, trying my best to avoid looking at the spot where I killed those four people. Despite my efforts, my eyes are drawn back to it, and the same hallucination flashes into view. Ghost-like outlines of our forms rise out of the ground, replaying what happened there in perfect clarity. I want to scream, or turn away, but I force myself to stare at the hallucination until it finishes and sinks back into the ground. Releasing a shaky breath, I press a hand over my pounding heart and continue to the game room, where livid shouting could be heard. That seemed to be a constant in this house.

"Oh come on, Ben! Stop cheating!" Masky whines. None of them notice me as I walk in, too absorbed in the game to glance away.

"I'm not cheating! You just suck at this game!" Ben shouts back. I smile, though I wasn't sure how to join them, so I just turn back around and leave the room. Slenderman was walking into the kitchen, so I opt to follow him. Once he realises I'm there, he gives me a warm greeting.