0 . 3 5

| B E V A N D R E D |
• • •
0 . 3 5

     The rest of the evening went by with Beverly being fascinated with Caroline's pregnancy

     The rest of the evening went by with Beverly being fascinated with Caroline's pregnancy. Him asking if she was at all ready to be a mother, and her asking both he mad Red if the two of them would ever feel comfortable babysitting whenever Caroline had a late night shift at the hospital.

     Red could see the look on Beverly's face whenever Caroline and Gavin would gush about the baby of theirs that was on the way, and he couldn't help but figure that maybe one of those were in their future.

     Sure, it was way, way too early, but Red couldn't help it. And if he were ever caught, he'd deny it all costs.

     Then, another knock was knocked, but by now, Beverly had gotten used to the invited guests and more siblings, and significant others, and pregnant women.

     But Red wasn't at all ready for who was about to walk through that door, this time.

     He watched as his mother greeted a young Beth McCoy, who wore a genuine smile, and had a strange man by her side, a baby right beside her. The baby was small, but maybe just old enough to walk alone, although, she still stumbled.

     Beth leaned down, and retrieved the baby girl from the girl, holding her against her hip. Jesse, her boyfriend, and the baby's father, pointed over to Red.

     Finally, Beth looked over at him, and made her way over, Rue still hanging off of her side.

     She came face-to-face with Red, her eyes almost rimmed with shiny tears.

     "Matt, this is Rue," the young girl looked down at her daughter, who absentmindedly sucked onto her thumb. "And Rue, say hello to uncle Matthew."

• • •

The two siblings sat side by side in the dining room, the rest of the family, including Beverly, still residing in the living room, without a doubt eavesdropping on the long awaited conversation.

Beth took a second to settle Rue onto ground beside her, a few toys occupying the child. Then, she looked up at Red, taking in everything that had changed in his facial features. Even the bit of facial hair that he had began to grow, and that he hadn't bothered to shave.

Then, Red began to conjure up conversation. "How old is she?"

"One, but her birthday's coming up soon," she paused, eyes boring into Red's. "And speaking of birthday's, I'm so sorry I missed yours. And I just—I've been angry at you for so long, I just needed a second to think, so that I wouldn't come here and ruin everything."

     Red shook his head, his eyes sparking with appreciation for being able to have a nice, moral conversation with Beth. "No, it's fine. I've missed so much in your life, because of a mistake I made—years ago. And now, I'm back, and I know how hard it can be. But you can't push me away. Not anymore. Not now that I want to get to know my niece."

     Beth nodded, eyes kissed with tears. "I know, I'm sorry. I love you, Matt."

     "I love you too, Beth."