Chapter 3: G.E.D.

Chapter 3: G.E.D.

As he enters the atrium he bumps into a new face. She is blonde; young and attractive. Dean looks her over once. His eyes go from her eyes down to her feet. She wears high heels and has her hair tied back in a modest, tight bun. Her name is Ms. Kelly and as professional as she tries to appear, she cannot stop young men from ogling her. Ms. Kelly looks at Dean and tries hard to hide an indifferent expression. This young professional sees just another 9-hours-a-day working class schmo. The young man does not seem to notice.

The young woman sticks her hand out gently. This is a test of Dean's chivalry. Dean stares down at her hand. The biker stands there for a moment motionless. He considers her gesture. This act of kindness leaves a puzzled look on his face.

She begins to introduce herself in spite of Dean's reaction. "Hello sir, my name is Ms. Kelly. I'm a professor, I teach a lot of young men, like yourself. I'm sure you'll want to enroll in my G.E.D. course before you leave. It is a requirement that all new ghosts pass the G.E.D. test. They will be rewarded with a G.E.D. upon completion of the course and after passing the test. The G.E.D. is better known as the Ghost Education Diploma."

Dean scratches his head. "Everyone in this building is nuts! Just when I think I found someone normal in here. You start talking about all that ghost garbage just like that last guy, Mr. Stephens. He was a S..." The young man stops short. He cannot remember the acronym. This frustrates the biker and it shows when he begins to introduce himself, "My name's Dean." He sighs and takes time pronouncing each letter of his short name. Just in the event, she cannot spell the name "Dean."

"D-e-a-n, and if you don't like that, you can shove it." Dean whoops and guffaws, clapping his hands with satisfaction. For a joke that only amuses himself. Ms. Kelly takes a pen from underneath the metal clamp on the clipboard. "Okay, Dean I have your name down. D-e-a-n, And you're just in luck. I have a class that starts in about an hour or so."

The professor uses the pen to gesture outside the office doors. "My building is just a short walk from here. You walk outside first, and then you take a quick right past the bushes. I'm sure you'll fit right in with your new classmates. I'll have you introduce yourself before the start of class today. It is a very rigorous course. So come with an open mind! And young man, prepare yourself!" The professor turns sharply on her heel and quickly walks out of the building.

Her high heels make a distinct click-clack as she walks. Dean takes a moment to look her over as she walks out. The biker studies the curve of her hips and her shapely legs. He says to himself with certainty, "Oh yeah, she's into me," . He finds a nearby bench and makes himself comfortable. Sitting hunched over with his legs wide open in order to keep cool, much like a star basketball player, who sits courtside. The next hour passes by slowly. The man in black passes it by making several trips from the bench to the water fountain.

Dean arrives at class late. This will become a habit of his throughout the duration of the course. He yanks open the door and bursts into the room. "Ah, that will be Dean right now." Ms. Kelly says as she rises from her desk. She has both hands on her desk top as she looks from face to face. The professor takes the role by making check marks on the sheet attached to her clipboard. She sees all the familiar faces in their usual seats. This makes the process of taking a role a breeze. Dean sneaks to the back of the room in a fleeting hope not to be called upon.

The professor clears her throat before she speaks. "I think Dean would like to introduce himself to the rest of the class. What do you think Dean?" Dean knows he is caught. The man in black reluctantly makes his way to the front of the class. "Hey, I'm Dean." He starts, and pauses. The young man quickly makes sure no one is laughing at him. "I like to ride my Harley, a lot. I'm a biker. That is until someone stole it. I'm still looking for the creep who did it. When I find him, I'm gonna beat his face in 'til he's a bloody pulp." Dean makes a fist with his right hand and slams it into his open left palm.

Dean makes his way to the back of the class to find a desk. He spins the chair around and sits in it backward. His arms are folded across the top as Ms. Kelly begins the lesson. The professor uses an oversized black marker on the whiteboard that is at the front of the class. The young woman begins to write large letters in black ink as she begins to speak. "Today's lesson, class, is, how to materialize properly at your Location of Particular Importance..."