Chapter 6: Town Hall

Dean is asleep comfortably in the master bedroom. This is when he hears a bloodcurdling scream. The scream sends chills straight down his spine and goosebumps rise on his arms. The specter opens his eyes to see a woman standing by the bedside. She wraps a towel around her body. Her hair is still damp from the shower. Her name is Mrs. Primm, "Get out of here!" she screams at the ghost.

Dean replies, "I'm sorry lady. This is clearly my house. Mr. Stephens gave it to me after I passed my G.E.D..." Then it dawns on the specter, he needs to evaporate fast. This woman is losing her wits. The ghost imagines the staircase. In a flash, the specter partially materializes there. Mrs. Primm can hear his heavy motorcycle boots clomp down the stairs. But when she stares down the stairs from the second story landing; she sees nothing. Mrs. Primm is left screaming, "Ghost! Demon! Be gone with you, go back to the fiery depths of Hell."

In spite of this, Dean continues to work his shift, just like the other nightly regulars at Flaherty's Pub. But, as time goes on, something definitely changes inside of him. A new appreciation for his newly learned capabilities. Thoughts of his own mortality, well, former mortality recur inside the depths of his subconscious. Simply put, Dean knows that he's no longer a living person. The specter uses this as an opportunity to ride his new chopper very hard. When he rides, he demands every inch of torque out of the six-cylinder engine. This causes the bike's tachometer to redline. Every B.H.P of the available, 375 B.H.P is necessary whenever he slams on the large disk brakes.

Now when he sees a pack of bikers on Harleys approach his L.P.I. he's sure to drag race at the head of the pack. Dean flies straight into the blind curve on Highway 118. This practice has earned him the name The Blind Curve Racer. Dean gains a reputation as word spreads through the town of Constance. People in town are beginning to fear that little stretch on Highway 118 with the blind curve.

After work every day The Blind Curve Racer is heralded in Flaherty's Pub. Other spirits regularly ask, "What's the count tonight, Dean?" Dean just smiles and tells them his running tally of frightened people for that day. The number of people rises steadily each day. He often gives a long pause for dramatic effect before responding, "5 truckers, 3 families, and one scared gang of bikers." The specter loves an appreciating audience.

But all the local celebrities in the town of Constance, and the glittering chrome on a motorcycle cannot compete with mortal life. A brand new feeling burns inside Dean, jealousy. With every shift, at his new job, Dean begins to miss the world of the living ever more. The ghost remains committed to his work of course. The specter makes sure to clock-in at 6:45 and start his ride all over again. The Blind Curve Racer kicks up his boots and, time after time, launches from the gravel shoulder. Sometimes, he even does a little overtime at the Primm household.

He earns time-and-a-half for any poltergeist activity, after his usual stint. A few words whispered into the newlyweds' ears as they lay down to sleep, perhaps. On some nights, he slams the cupboard doors repeatedly. Once, he broke the vanity mirror in the master bathroom. But all of this activity loses its charm over time. The specter begins to mourn for the loss of his family and friends still in the world of the living.

The town of Constance begins to grow weary of the paranormal presence. And it is not long before prominent members in the community call a town hall meeting to discuss matters. The title of the gathering in town hall, Strange Happenings. Travelers on the main thoroughfare in Constance are the first to complain. "I can't drive my car on Highway 1-18 without the Blind Curve Racer scaring me half to death!" The town hall becomes rowdy as several others clamor to concur with the speaker.

After the crowd settles, the very next to complain is Mr. Flaherty. "I swear up and down that my fine establishment is haunted. I've heard voices when no one is there. I even heard pool balls clacking when I knew I'd closed the pub. I cannot sleep in the apartment above my pub anymore since I hear jukebox music at all hours of the night."

The crowd goes back to a collective yammering, Mrs. Primm awaits her chance. After the noise in town hall settles, she knows this is her break. She squeezes her husband's hands before speaking, "My very own home is haunted, the cozy one painted yellow. My husband and I have worked very hard to have a safe place to raise our children someday. I've seen a man, an apparition, in my bedroom. I've also heard all kinds of loud noises in my home. My husband has had to replace the mirror, because it's been shattered by this unwelcome terror."

"I propose we bring in a team of paranormal investigators, and I know just the team. I watch a show regularly on tv entitled, Strange Happenings. During this gathering of responsible citizenry inside the town hall, I seek permission. I would like to invite this paranormal investigation team to the once lovely town of Constance. I can promise you, this team does a thorough investigation and reports on any paranormal activity. Shall we call it a vote? Those who believe we should invite the crew from Strange Happenings say 'yay'. All those opposed to my solution of this recent pestilence, may say 'nay'.

The town of Constance has never seen such unity of opinion of their citizenry. The hall rings with declarations of approval. A thunderous "yay" is raised inside town hall. Right after this approval occurs, there is a banging of a gavel. This sound signals the end of the voting process, and the meeting comes to a close. People gather their various belongings and file outside into the cool evening. With the important business out of the way, the citizens of Constance rest much easier tonight. Certain that their little town will be selected for an episode of Strange Happenings. What experienced paranormal team could turn down the town of Constance?

Mrs. Primm herself fills out the audition form on the internet. She employs every rumored paranormal event voiced during the fateful town hall meeting. When the newlywed describes her town of Constance. After six weeks, she receives an e-mail from the production crew expressing their interest. In a matter of weeks, the paranormal investigators famous from the television program, Strange Happenings, will travel to Constance to begin production of a brand new episode.