Chapter 4: 375 B.H.P.

Several days later, after a short ceremony, Dean has G.E.D. in hand. Pomp and Circumstance plays on a loudspeaker near the stage. As the new graduate leaves the stage he takes the stairs just to his right. As the biker descends the stairs he says, "That test was a breeze, but whoever wrote it is a whack job."

Shortly after the graduation ceremony, Dean walks back into the employment building with the small corner office for Spector Resource Manager Mr. Stephens. Dean remembers from Ms. Kelly's lessons that he should knock on the door and wait outside the door with patience. Especially when dealing with a superior like SRM Mr. Stephens.

Like it or not, Dean knows that Mr. Stephens is his new boss. Dean knocks and takes a deep breath. If he ever will ride a motorcycle again this is the guy responsible for his monthly paycheck. Dean hears a voice beyond the door, "Yes, you may come in. Please close the door on your way in." It's the voice of The SRM. Once again, he is drinking from his #1 Dad coffee mug.

Dean steps into the office and shuts the office door silently. "Ah, Dean, I was told I should be expecting you. Ms. Kelly dropped by earlier and informed me you passed your G.E.D. test. Do you have your diploma with you at the moment?" Dean places the recently printed piece of paper on the desk of the SRM. Mr. Stephens picks the document up and reads the diploma from top to bottom. He checks for the school president's signature. All in an effort to make sure that it is not a counterfeit certificate. Lastly, Mr. Stephens holds the paper under his desk lamp. The watermark is definitive proof. This is an authentic Ghost Education Diploma

"I think I have the perfect job for you in mind. It involves riding our finest motorcycle. You won't find anything like it in the mortal world. I swear the thing is a beast. If you weren't dead, I'd worry for your health. The guy in charge of building our ghostly conveyances claims it comes in at 375 B.H.P"

Dean smiles with a grin so wide that Mr. Stephens can see two white rows of teeth. The young man has never had enough money for a custom chopper. The biker states plainly, "Choppers are for rich guys that don't know how good they have it. It's not my bike, but I'd like to see it. That is, if your ghost con...Your guy has it out of the shop already." Mr. Stephens hands Dean his G.E.D. Dean tries to keep it crisp and wrinkle free. His hands are sweaty and he does not want to ruin the document. It took a lot of hard work to earn this first degree. Even if he earned it in something as ludicrous as the field of ghost education.

"Don't worry Dean, it's been crafted and tuned far in advance. All the work on this chopper has been done by our finest engineers and mechanics. The dynamometer tests all show that it is a very capable bike. Let me assign your job as we discussed briefly several days ago. It utilizes the skills you learned in your G.E.D. course. You'll be working Highway 1-18 as we discussed the infamous blind curve."

"Let me enter it into the computer here." Mr. Stephens busily types at his keyboard. "There we have it. You start your haunting tonight. The bike will be provided to you at your L.P.I." Dean claps his hands together, "I can't wait to get my hands on that chopper." There is now a hungry, half-crazed look in Dean's eyes.

"In due time, but for right now we need to assign you a haunted house. Every ghost on the job needs somewhere to live. The house will be located near your work, so that you can materialize at your worksite with ease. Your house will be right on the main drag of Highway 1-18 in the small town of Constance. It is a lovely two-story house occupied by a small family. You'll find it quite cozy, and it is fully furnished."

Dean stares at the man aghast. He has never had so much as a studio apartment for more than a month. That is before the landlord would kick him out onto the street. Mr. Stephens is now responsible for the assignment which includes: a custom chopper and a fully furnished house. "Now, if you would please leave. I am really late for my next appointment." Dean hustles out of Mr. Stephens office. He cannot believe he will spend clocking his work hours on a custom built chopper.

The young biker can say nothing else besides, "Man, I'm pumped! No way! Is this for real?" As the man in black begins to close the office door Mr. Stephens speaks up, "Oh, before I forget." Mr. Stephens rises from his desk and hands Dean a slip of paper. "I've written the address to your new house. Along with some directions to get there from this office. It's less than a couple miles walk from this house. Work starts tonight. So, do your best to show up a few minutes early."

Dean unfolds the lined piece of notebook paper. A small house key falls into his palm. Dean tucks this key into his front pocket sewn inside the breast of his leather jacket. On the piece of paper is a hand drawn map with a small compass on the upper right corner and a key in the bottom left. Dean orients himself so he faces magnetic north. The newly employed man begins the walk to his new house. He forgets all about his ability to apparate, while he thinks of the new chopper fresh from the shop.

After about half an hour Dean is standing in front of a small house. The walls are of brick and wood. The house is painted stark white. There is a small porch with a bench swing. The yard is small, but tidy. The lawn has fresh, straight lines from a lawnmower. The smell of grass hangs in the air. Walking up the porch steps Dean takes the key from his breast pocket and inserts it into the lock on the front door. After a small click the door to Dean's new haunt unlocks. Dean walks back and forth in the house checking out each room. The ghost throws his favorite leather jacket on the master bed. He walks into the master bath and takes a long, hot, shower.

Next, The biker dries himself with a set of his & hers towels he finds in a linen closet. Inside one of the bathroom drawers is a disposable razor. There is shaving cream nearby. The spector coats his face. The cream changes color from green to white when as the cream sets on his face. Dean takes a much needed shave. Afterward a row of shelves reveals a porcelain container of aftershave. The ghost splashes some aftershave on his face.

The spector still has a few hours before work and plops down on the master bed. He props himself up with a pillow and turns on the tv. The tv is new and has a wide selection of channels. Dean watches reruns of 90s sitcoms, all of which are available on demand. When he gets up he realizes he hasn't eaten in hours. But it is too late to worry that he needs to show up to work. The specter grabs his leather jacket and leaves in a hurry.