Prologue

The moon had risen to the middle of the sky, with no clouds from Starclan being sent so the gathering may commence. The near silent hoots and meowing of the cats gossiping was the only thing able to be heard at the current moment. Only one of the leaders had not arrived yet and the dark brown tom was getting irritable. "Where is Ferretstar? We're losing moonlight." His whiskers twitched and he lashed his tail. "Patience Owlstar. Ferretstar will arrive shortly. You know the snow this leafbare has been extremely bad on the moor." The long furred she-cat leader spoke, her gentle blue gaze resting on the dark brown tom. "I will start without him here." The dark gray she-cat spoke with confidence and puffed out her chest.

"Shadowclan has done well in the past moon even with the leafbare conditions. As you all know, Turtlestar had passed away a quarter moon before this gathering due to greencough. I have received my nine lives from Starclan and I will hope to keep the peace with you all." The dark gray she-cat dipped her head respectively to the other clan leaders.

"Turtlestar will be missed, but walks with Starclan now. She watches over you and will continue to do so with the leaders than followed before her." The clan leaders turned their heads towards the new voice. "Late as usual, huh Ferretstar?" Owlstar glared at the small tom. "Being late is better than never arriving Owlstar. I'm sure the other leaders will not mind as the conditions on the moor have worsened with the blizzard." The long haired she-cat shook her head towards the tom. "I do not mind, but please leave earlier next time so we don't waste moonlight." As she spoke, the small tom leapt up onto the tree stump and sat around the other leaders.

"Lakestar, please do not preach to me as if you're my mother. You may be the oldest leader here, but I'm catching on in moons." Ferretstar licked his chest fur in embarrassment. "Let us carry on before Starclan sends clouds to prevent Ferretstar's death." The dark gray she-cat purred and dipped her head towards the Thunderclan leader for him to speak. "Thunderclan's prey has also been running well in our territory. Two warriors have passed their assessments and have earned their warrior names, Icywind and Jaywing."

The chorus of Icywind and Jaywing filled the hollow's bitterly cold air. Slowly the chanting calmed down, and Owlstar was allowed to continue. "Lakestar, do enlighten us how well you're always doing." Owlstar said sarcastically towards the she-cat. Lakestar lashed her tail, "Owlstar, you are not an apprentice any longer! Act like a leader instead." She took a deep breath before continuing to calm her nerves. "The river has frozen over and in that instance we have lost one of our elders, Featherstorm. Greencough spread throughout the camp and seemed to only linger towards her. May she walk by the quiet rivers within Starclan's borders."

Lakestar dipped her head and looked towards Ferretstar. He nodded towards the wise leader and meowed, "Windclan has not suffered as badly as your clans, yet I fear that next leafbare will be worse. The snow has built up quickly on the moor to the point warriors must clear it out of the camp before being able to get to the fresh-kill pile. Fishpaw has earned her warrior name, Fishsplash." The roar of Fishsplash's name made her lick her chest in embarrassment.

Ferretstar patiently waited, flicking his tail back and fro in annoyance. "Our former deputy, Silverflame has retired to the elder's den and we have come to a decision to who the new deputy will be. Starclan, cover the stars if you do not approve of the decision the senior warriors and I have made."

Ferretstar stood up and turned around to face his clan. His gentle gaze rested over each one present. Cedarwater and Gleameyes, the two current senior warriors nodded towards Ferretstar. He took a breath before speaking once again. "I, Ferretstar say these words before every clan and their warriors, that the spirits of our ancestors may hear and approve of my choice. The new deputy of Windclan will be Thornleaf!"

The yowls of acceptance and Thornleaf's name were heard throughout the hollow. Thornleaf, dipped his head respectfully and waited for the rest of the warriors to calm down. "Thank you Ferretstar for the honor of serving you and the rest of Windclan. I will do my best with the gifts that Starclan have given to me and share it to the younger generations of warriors." Ferretstar nodded to the new deputy and to Silverflame across the way from him. She limped over towards him and pressed her head to his shoulder.

Ferretstar looked up towards the night sky, watching the twinkling stars. No clouds could be seen on the horizon, so he thought Starclan had approved. "If that's it, then we can commence regular gossiping until each clan decides to leave." Owlstar leapt down from his spot on Tall Stump and spoke quietly to his deputy, Fallendawn. When Ferretstar glanced at the exchange, he could've sworn that Fallendawn snarled at him and walked off with the rest of Thunderclan.

"Is there something wrong with Thunderclan during this leafbare?" Ferretstar asked quietly to the remaining two leaders when Owlstar was out of earshot. "Owlstar was never like that beforehand. Maybe something is wrong with his mate or Starclan cursed him." Wolfstar added sarcastically but Ferretstar considered the possibility. He hasn't seen Bluesky on a patrol in moons, let alone come to a gathering. Quietly Ferretstar sent a prayer out to Starclan that his mate was safe with her borders. "I will see you two at the next gathering. May Starclan light your paths." Ferretstar turned from Tall Stump and leapt off the rather large piece of wood.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Sharpsnap anxiously looking around until he saw Ferretstar's gaze over him. Sharpsnap quickly bolted out of the gathering, out of the hollow. Maybe one day he will figure out where he is running off too, but tonight is not that day.