Chapter 4

Birds that had stayed around for leafbare chirped outside of the den. The wind pushed up against the walls, attempting to creep in through the cracks. The snow had barely pushed into the entrance of the den, though anymore there would be an avalanche. The sun had barely crept over the horizon of the treetops, shrouded by many gray clouds.

"Ironpaw! Wake up! It's time for you to go around the territory!" Ironpaw groaned, not wanting to will herself awake. Redpaw, Longpaw, Whispypaw and Ironpaw stayed up most of the night just talking to each other. The trio mostly wanted to know more about Ironpaw, but talked a lot to each other as well.

So much so the other two apprentices in the den, Hawkpaw and Wrenpaw were so irritated at one point they left to the warriors' den. They didn't return, but Ironpaw had a suspicion that their newfound 'gang' were going to be in a lot of trouble. Today, however, was the first day of apprenticeship for them.

Longpaw was practically bouncing off the walls, ready to go and stretch his legs. Whispypaw murmured towards Ironpaw, "Sorry about him. He doesn't just know how to not be so energetic." She snorted and got out of her makeshift next. Redpaw's nest was right next to hers, so she made sure to step over it the best she could to not wake the sleeping apprentice. Between her littermates, she seemed to be the most quiet and yet most lazy out of them.

Whispypaw opened his eyes and let out a big yawn. "This early? It's barely even dawn yet..." The tired apprentice said. When Ironpaw exited the den, she was met with the face of her mentor. She stared menacingly at the Ironpaw and she made her want to melt into the ground. Lynxfur started turning away and Loudstorm padded after her. Longpaw bounced after his mentor, and watching him made Ironpaw feel tired.

The rest of the cats were slowly coming out of the dens. Cats she now knows as Cedarwater and Thornleaf were discussing something with Ferretstar. Hawkpaw was groaning as he made his way towards the elder's den. Whispypaw had just emerged with Wildblaze waiting for him outside. Gleameyes hadn't even made his way towards the apprentices den and was talking to Arthur and Sharpsnap, whose tails were entertained with each other.

Ironpaw wondered how Arthur was treated when he first arrived within the clans. It seemed to Ironpaw, it was a long journey of acceptance for the former kittypet to be welcomed by the clan. Maybe she could learn from them, even ask Arthur questions about it in the future after she comes back later in the day.

Longpaw butted his head against Ironpaw, jerking her back into reality. "Aren't you excited? I think all the prey in the forest can hear me!" Ironpaw supressed a purr for Longpaw. She was just as excited as he was, but surely running around like it's the end of the forest would help him.

"Sorry to keep you waiting!" Gleameyes yowled out to the rest of the cats. "Redpaw didn't want to show her face anywhere but her bedding." Loudstorm rolled his eyes while Whispypaw trailed closely behind them. "Ferretstar called Wildblaze into his den to discuss some things." Whispypaw meowed quietly.

"No worries! You'll just have to tag along with us for the tour." Loudstorm meowed loudly and started padding away from the group of apprentices. "Hurry up or you're going to miss the whole tour." Gleameyes growled, Lynxfur already fox lengths away from where Ironpaw and her new friends were.

To her left, Longpaw was meowing on about something that Ironpaw could only guess at to Whispypaw. Which meant to her right, Redpaw was just quiet her head as close as she could towards the ground. Her tail fell limp to her hind legs, jerking slightly if they hit each other. Ironpaw slowed her pace to her in stride with the she-cat. "Hey Redpaw, you feeling ok?" Ironpaw quietly meowed to her.

Redpaw looked up at her with her pale golden eyes. She didn't know why it happened, but her heart started racing many fox lengths ahead of her. It felt like a wild fire spreading throughout her whole body, warming her nearly instantaneously. However, the feeling was short lived when Redpaw nodded to Ironpaw.

"Come on, we're going out as apprentices today. Surely you're excited to finally get out of camp?" Redpaw's ears were pressed up against her head. "Do you just want me to leave you alone?" Ironpaw asked, her heart filled with pity and had stopped racing fox lengths away from her.

Redpaw shook her head, and opened her mouth then closed it. "Redpaw, are you okay?" She nodded, and flicked her tail towards her neck. It then dawned on Ironpaw why she couldn't speak. "I'm such a mouse-brain for not thinking of it Redpaw." She brushed her tail against Ironpaw's shoulder, telling her that it was alright.

"Ironpaw stop chit chatting! We're nearing the border." Gleameyes's nose scrunched up when he meowed towards Ironpaw, startling her because of his tone against her. "Ease up on the apprentices Gleameyes. It's not like she knows any better." Loudstorm mumbled to Gleameyes when Lynxfur suddenly stopped. She raised her tail and it stood directly towards the sky. Longpaw tilted his head to the side in confusion while Whispypaw looked around for why they stopped.

"Get down now." Lynxfur hissed, her eyes landing on something in the distance. "Smell the scents drifting on the winds apprentices. What do you smell?" Loudstorm asked them. Ironpaw sniffed the air and noticed it did smell different. It smelt like one of the clans she had visited. Riverclan. "I smell something that stinks like fish." Longpaw told Loudstorm and he nodded. "Those fish-breath warriors!" Whispypaw attempted to snarl, but it came out as a light hiss.

"What are we going to do? We're not going to fight are we?" Ironpaw asked worriedly. "Don't get your hopes up, Bigpaw." Gleameyes glared at Ironpaw. "We're just going to deal with this nicely. If it doesn't end nicely, well we're just going to have to send for reinforcements." He licked the fangs that stuck out from his mouth. Ironpaw felt a shiver of fear go down her spine from his words.

"Don't scare Bigpaw, Gleameyes. She just needs time to adjust from the rogue life to clan life." Loudstorm sneered underneath his breath to Gleameyes. Lynxfur glared at them to silence themselves. "You should know better as senior warriors to not worry about someone's background." She hissed at them. "We don't need to have petty quarrels with each other at the moment. Riverclan is right there."

Her timing was impeccable as the cat came over the hill into sight. There was a black tabby who has seen many years in the forest and the gray furs were flecking all over his muzzle. It seemed to ease the tension as he took pawsteps towards them. "Hello Lynxfur, Loudstorm, and Gleameyes. I am here on medicine cat business and wish to speak with Skyberry." He dipped his head to the warriors. Instantly the tenseness of the group eased away when the cat spoke to them.

"Of course, Oddsky. We will escort you on the way back to camp. The apprentices will just learn everything on the first dusk patrol tonight." Lynxfur said stately, her gaze firm on the older warriors beside her. The warriors grumbled and the apprentices sighed. "I was so excited too." Longpaw's ears folded back against his head. "Don't worry, you'll be running around the territory in no time." Ironpaw assured him, but she didn't think it would do any good.

Even with her longer strides than the other apprentices, they were many pawsteps away from her. Whispypaw was even further by being fox-lengths ahead of the ground with Redpaw by his side. Longpaw padded towards them, only glancing a quick glance at Ironpaw then stayed focused on his littermates and started talking to them again. The warriors, even Lynxfur, seemed to separate themselves from Ironpaw. She sighed and let her head dip towards the ground. Earning their trust wasn't going to be easy at all.