Chapter Fifty- Four

I sat on the steps of my school, looking down at my slightly burnt hands from attempting how to make a fire, only for it to burst up and burn a bit of my hands. They had been bandaged with a cream smeared over them to help them heal. I could still feel the burning sensation, but I had started to ignore it. I pulled my jackets sleeve more over my arms, feeling a bit of coldness nipping at me. I stared at the Jacket, finding some holes were starting to show in it. Thinking, this jacket was originally a doll jacket, it wasn't really meant to be actually worn. Jennifer had offered before to get me a new jacket, but I didn't want to replace this one. After all, this is what Alton had given me. I felt that this jacket was all I had left of him and I didn't want to get rid of it.

It was been about two months since the last time I had seen them, I missed them so much.. What I wouldn't give to leave this place. It was horrible! I still have to attend a hard core schooling system because this isn't about math or English anymore, oh no! It was about surviving.. And occasionally math and English... But anyways, it wasn't uncommon to come home from school with new bruises and cuts.

Now other than my tough schooling situation, within the two months I was here, I haven't made any friends. Only bullys really. Every kid either ignored me, would pick on me, and occasionally I met some nice kids but they didn't stick around for long. There was one boy that was really mean to me, he was the one that seemed to be picking on me the most. Honestly, he seemed to have been the most annoying kid in the school and the biggest show off. Of course I was smaller than him and he wanted to pick on me to show who was 'superior.'

He is like four years older than me anyways. It didn't help that since this place was so small, there was really only two schools here. One for the really little kids, and the other for kids who are ten and up. It really just made a lot of situations worse, but there was nothing people could really do. They are working to expand this area a bit for new homes and schools, this place is still fairly new. They are trying to work with what they got.

I set my head into my hands while I waited for Jennifer and Matt to come get me, they always told me when I got out of school, to wait there and they would come get me. I was so sleepy, It was already late in the evening and either Jennifer or Matt was suppose to be getting off of work any moment now. I was tempted to just lay down on the concrete stairs, but I didn't. I just continued to wait.

In the background, I heard someone behind me but I hardly paid any attention to it. I should have. That same moment, I felt a force hit me hard in the back, making me tumble down the stairs and to the dirt. I felt the pain rise up in my lower back, I knew would surely bruise.

I looked up towards the stairs, where I was originally, seeing Josh snickering as he came the rest of the way down the stairs. This was the kid that chose me to be picked on.. I pulled myself up to my feet, having ot grab onto the railing on the stairs to help keep myself up.

"Stop faking! I didn't hit you that hard!" Josh called at me.

Tell that to my bruising back..
I couldn't help but narrow my eyes at him in annoyance from his comment. That only seemed to have angered him.
His eyes narrowed back at me and he marched forward, trying to hold himself up higher to seem more intimidating.

"You better wipe that look off of your face before I wipe it off for you." He threatened, balling his fists.

My heart began to really thud in my chest at him approaching me. I glanced around for an exit route, finding nothing.. But the stairs to the surface, out of the underground.. I haven't seen outside in two months.. I don't think that's good for me, but it would be nice to see it again. Without waiting for Josh anymore, I rushed by him, running towards the exit. I heard his fast footsteps behind me after a moment of being stunned that I actually ran.