The Worst Twilight Zone Episode Ever

The early morning sun shone across April's face and she awoke with a start. She looked around her room confused, as if she expected to be somewhere else. Visions of the wedding flooded her memory, then Jae holding her outside.  And just as they were about to kiss...Kenny! He was in her living room. She grabbed her black and red Kimono robe and rushed out into the main room of her apartment. Kenny was nowhere to be found. There was no trace of him anywhere. No clothes, no lingering scent of expensive cologne. The blanket she remembered covering him with was folded neatly on the back of the chair from which she had taken it.

Had it all been a dream? Was she so exhausted after the wedding that she fell asleep as soon as she got home, dreaming everything she thought happened afterwards? That must be it, she thought. She couldn't imagine Kenny actually acting in such a way.  But did dreaming it so vividly mean she wanted it to happen, like she wanted Jae to hold her close and call her beautiful?  That part of the dream she liked, the rest was a nightmare.  Thankfully it was over. 

April sighed in relief and laughed at herself for thinking her dream was real. Even though it felt so real. Jae's hand in hers, his arm around her, the look in his eyes. How could she have imagined all that? But she had. It was the only explanation.

She shrugged and began making herself a cup of coffee. The goal was to get her pictures edited and all the proofs sent to her clients as soon as possible. After pouring a cup she turned to the refrigerator for the cream. She made her coffee more like dessert than anything, with cream, sugar and even cinnamon if she was feeling extra fancy. Today, though, all she wanted was sugar and cream and enough caffeine to keep her awake for the next six hours. 

She turned, bottle of cream in hand, only to drop it when she found herself face to face with Kenny.

"Good morning," he said, smiling

He had a towel wrapped around his waist and was drying his hair with another. April picked up the cream without a word because the only words she wanted to say weren't befitting of a lady. He looked so at home and at ease it was as if he never left. But he had left and his comfort was making her blood boil. She poured the cream into the coffee and stirred it so violently she nearly chipped the cup.

"You're angry," Kenny said, dropping his arms to his sides

"What an astute observation."

"April, I'm sorry."

"Yeah, I know Kenny. That's all you ever are."

"I just wanted to talk to you. Explain things.  There was no good time during the wedding. I may have had too much to drink but I was nervous. I want things to be good between us again. I've missed you."

April sighed loudly. She was so tired. Not physically, but emotionally. Between Jae and Kenny, the past 24 hours had taken so much out of her she almost missed being alone. Her life had been simple just two days before. Work, eat, sleep, repeat. Throwing apologizing exes and sexy neighbors into the mix was a recipe for heartbreak, something she had had enough of for ten lifetimes.

"Kenny," April began, her voice softer, "you don't have to explain anything, really."

"I do," he said, coming around the kitchen island that separated them. The closer he got the more aware she became that he was basically naked. He stood so close to her that she could feel the heat emanating from him. She remembered that heat.  It was the heat she longed for at night for months, as she lay cold and alone in the bed they once shared. 

"My leaving had nothing to do with you."

"But John said..."

"I know what he said. He told you what I told him to tell you."