Passport

As Kenny drove through the city, beside him April watched the sky, the red and orange hues deepening to purple as the sun fell from view. She had watched thousands of sunsets through the skyline of the city but none felt as final as the one she was watching this night. It signified the end of so much more than just a summer day. When the sun rose again it would shed its light through the window of an empty apartment where once lived the man she loved.

April shook her head free from thoughts of the morning and tried to focus on the night ahead.

"So," she said so suddenly that Kenny flinched, "about this party."

"Uh huh," he replied with trepidation.

"Does your dad know I'm coming?"

"No. I just told him I had a date.

April nodded. Had it been any other night she knew her performance would have been outstanding; clinging to Kenny, baby talk, pet names. Just making an absolute spectacle of herself and having a great time doing it. She was sure Kenny was regretting his decision to ask her to come with him so she didn't want to let him down. Despite feeling like her soul had been ripped out and stomped on, she was determined to be who he needed at the party. It was the least she could do for him.

"Don't worry," she said turning to him and smiling, "I got this."

When they got to the country club Kenny left his car with the valet and they walked inside hand in hand. Immediately, as if a spotlight had been shone on them, everyone turned and watched as they walked through the ballroom, Kenny smiling and waving at his former co-workers whose jaws hit the floor at the sight of them.

They approached a couple who tried to escape when Kenny started walking in their direction , as if his father would be mad at them by association.

"Hey, Bob. Margie. How are you? You remember April?"

"Uh, yes, of course. Lovely to see you again," Bob croaked after a swig of wine.

"Indeed," April replied, as Kenny wrapped his arm around her waist.

"Hey, have you seen my dad?"

April thought they were going to have a stroke right there in front of them. The couple looked around pretending to try to spot Lawrence in the crowd of stunned accountants, or whatever they were.

"Oh, never mind, I found him. It was nice seeing you again."

April couldn't help but giggle as they left Bob and Margie looking after them, waiting to see how Lawrence was going to blow up, their morbid curiosity getting the best of them.

"That was more than worth this whole trip," Kenny laughed.

Despite herself, April felt good for helping Kenny. She knew his plan wasn't just about showing up with her to anger his father, it was more than that. For years he had done what his father expected, lived under his thumb and the one time he rebelled, by being in a relationship with April, Lawrence did the only thing he could do to break them up. Bringing her, the woman he couldn't stand his son to be with, to his party was Kenny's way of saying that his life was his own. Finally, he was his own man.

As they approached Lawrence, April began to prepare. She pulled Kenny's arm around her and looked up at him lovingly. She saw the old man see them and he rushed over to stop them from going any further.

"Great party, dad," Kenny said.

"What do you think you're doing? What is SHE doing here?"

"I'm flattered you remember me, Mr. Mitchell. This is a lovely affair."