XV

*Enjoy Reading*

Chapter XV

Her steps slowed down when she heard a male voice mention her name.

'What about that girl, Mehar-un-Nisa? I thought you for once were serious about someone.'

Mehar's ears perked up further and she chewed on her lip as she waited for them to continue speaking.

Someone sighed. Then she heard the voice she hadn't since he promised he won't bother her anymore.

'I was bruh. But she didn't want anything to do with me.'

Zahyan Haider.

'So?'

'So what?'

'So you gave up? Just like that? You won't do anything to win her trust and heart?'

She heard Zahyan scoff. 'You think I didn't do anything? That I let her go so easily?'

Something crashed. Intentionally.

'Sh*t no man! I did everything I could! I even followed her like a damn puppy around the campus!'

Another thing crashed. Much closer to the wall she hid behind, outside the class room making her jump a little.

'But maybe it was not enough. She hated me. My guts, my,' he stopped for a mere second then continued. 'these long damned hair. My existence!'

Was her dislike for him so evident? Mehar found herself asking this question.

'Cut them then,' the other said.

'That won't do anything. I've promised her that I won't show her my face and pop in front of her again and again.'

A whistle was carried by the wind from inside the classroom to her ears which followed the next spoken words of Zahyan she desperately wanted to block out, as they started to ring in her ears.

Mehar staggered back, tripping over her feet and hitting her elbow in the wall when she tried to support herself in haste.

She somehow managed to escape from there before she was caught eavesdropping by any one of them.

Ozhan's clearing of throat brought her out of her flashback from that morning in her university, when she'd heard Zahayn and his friend's conversation.

She wasn't guilty though, for she was the one they were talking about, so it was her right to know what they had to say. Didn't she?

'You zoned out halfway through my speech.'

'Uh yeah,' Mehar scratched her ear sheepishly. 'Sorry about that. What were you saying?'

Ozhan sighed and looked down at the neatly trimmed grass.

Mehar felt guilty for not listening to him more when he seemed to have difficulty mustering up the courage.

'I wanted to apologise for what I made you go through and the hurt I was the cause of.'

Mehar looked at the setting sun sighing.

Ozhan had suggested they talk outside in the garden and she'd agreed after she made some tea for the both of them for old times sakes. Even before their engagement, when they were just friends, good friends.

'Please forgive me? Else, I would be carrying the guilt all my life.'

So he wanted to rid himself of the guilt?