Chapter 8

Liu's POV

I slowly open my eyes and just stare at the ceiling while gathering my thoughts. Several hours ago, my wounds got treated and stitched up. After that, I got sleepy because of the medication and anesthesia. I'm still wondering why did I throw myself in front of Hyunjin. Am I that selfless?

I look to my side and see Hyunjin sleeping. His face is against the bed while his right hand is holding mine.

This is really new to me. We've been married for almost three months, but it's my first time seeing him being soft.

"Hyunjin, you should've gone home and rest instead," I said softly.

I notice that his hair is tousled, so my other hand unconsciously reaches for his hair to fix it.

Hyunjin suddenly opens his eyes, "You're finally awake." He said while staring at me.

"I'm sorry, did I wake you up?" I asked.

"No, no, no, it's fine." He said while fixing his posture.

Both of our eyes fell towards the direction of our intertwined hands, so he immediately lets go of my hand. He looks tired, but he manages to give me a bright smile.

"You should sleep more," I said.

"I'm fine." He replied.

"When can I go back to your house?" I asked.

"You can leave the hospital tomorrow, but I insist that you stay for another week." He said.

"No, I can't stay here for a long time, I have work-"

"I already talked to Allen. You won't be working there anymore."

My eyebrows furrowed, "What?"

I can't believe what he's saying right now. How can he decide for me?

"Can you help me get into a sitting position?" I asked.

He helps me and fixes the pillow behind me.

"Look, Hyunjin, you can't decide for me. I need money so that I could finish med school. If you did that out of concern for me, I am really grateful. However, I hope you stop interfering." I said.

It's evident in my tone that I am somehow frustrated.

"I understand. I'm sorry, but you saved my life, and I won't be at ease if I remain indebted to you for the rest of my life, so please hear my offer first." He said.

I let out a sigh and then gave him a nod.

"You can go back to med school right after you get discharged. I will take care of the requirements and all of the expenses. This is my payment to you for saving my life. I also have conditions. Wherever you go, a bodyguard will accompany you. It is for your own safety, so I hope you'll comply." He said.

His offer is too good to be true.

"Okay, thanks for the offer, but I can't answer right away. I'll think about it. Where's my phone?"

"It's fine, take your time. Ah, about your phone, it got damaged because of the incident. I'll just buy you a new one later."

"No need, I'll just borrow Younghyun's old phone. Speaking of Younghyun, did you tell him or any of my friends about what happened to me?"

Hyunjin shakes his head, and then he fishes out his phone from his pockets, "Here, use it to call your brother and your friends."

"Thanks."

Several minutes later, my friends arrived. Hyunjin leaves the room to give us some privacy.

"You idiot, why did you sacrifice yourself for Hyunjin? I thought he was a prick to you." Yeri scolded me.

"Hey, he's not that bad. He has a good side too. It's just he hasn't shown it to me, not until today."

I suddenly remember him showing up when I really thought he wouldn't. Did he run from our house to the store just to save me?

I shake my head, don't get too ahead of yourself Liu, he probably did that because of the company. Yeah makes sense, right?

"Earth to Liu?" Rosé said while snapping her fingers at me.

"Sorry, did you guys say something?"

"Younghyun is here, and so is your father," Yeri said.

"What? Why is he here?" I asked with wide eyes.

"Of course, he is here to visit you." Rosé said.

"We'll be right outside, okay?" Yeri said while squeezing my hand.

I don't want them to go.

As Yeri and Rosé leave the room, the other two entered. Younghyun rushes to me and hugs me.

"I am so sorry I wasn't there for you-"

"Stop right there, young man. It was an accident. Don't blame yourself, okay? I'm alright, we all are, and that is what matters." I said.

Younghyun just gave me a nod.

"Father wants to talk to you privately. I'll buy you food. Can you eat?"

"I don't want to talk to him, YoungK, and as for the food, yes, they allowed me to eat, but I need to avoid anything greasy."

"Please, Liu, he's still our father. Did you already forget about the happy memories we had? Can't you at least hold on to them? Please hear each other's side and fix this. We are the only ones left in this family. Instead of hating one another, we should be doing the opposite."

What he said is correct, but I can't help myself but hate my father because he chose that company over us.

I let out a sigh, "I really hate it when you ask me for a favor. How could I say no to that?"

He smiles at me, and then he plants a kiss on my forehead, "Thank you, I'll be right back."

I watch him walk out of the room, and then my father slowly approaches me. He sits down. I look down at my hands while fidgeting my fingers.

"I don't know where to start when your mom passed away. I lost myself. I really love your mother so much. I was in denial, so I kept myself busy with the company. I can't accept that she's gone and that I wasn't capable of doing anything to save her. I thought that the company is the only connection I have with your mom. That's why I value it so much. I know I had neglected my duties as a father to you and Younghyun, but I hope it's not too late to make it up to you. I'm sorry for everything and especially for taking your dream of being a doctor away from you. It's just I hated the thought of it because they didn't save your mother. But I understand now that they are not to blame and I also know that you'll be better than them. You can go back to school, Liu. I'll be giving you your monthly allowance again, and I'll be paying for your tuition fee. You being in an accident made me realize that you and Younghyun are the last connection I have with your mom. I wouldn't know what to do if I lose both of you too. I love you so much, my little monkey." He said, then he pulls me into a hug.

"I hope you forgive me." He whispers.

"I already have Dad," I said.