Chapter 10

When I ordered Rose on a straight course back to her room, she jumped on the opportunity to escape me, scurrying away with her thick hair billowing behind. It was then that I began my troubled walk of shame back to my own room, my mind filled with restless thoughts.

What had happened back there? Why on earth had I reacted like I did? What in God's name was wrong with me? The self-accusations buzzed around in my brain like an annoying fly, setting my features into a permanent scowl. The bypassing teachers and staff eyed me appraisingly as I made my way through the school corridors.

No matter how much I wanted to ignore what had happened back in the lounge, I knew I had to deal with it like an adult. So, once positioned in the comfort of my bed, I began to analyse the situation. The incredulity of finding out about Rose and Jesse. The anger at seeing Jesse on top of Rose. Getting rid of Jesse and then... Rose.

What was it about that girl? Why was she so... alive? Could it be normal for a young girl to instill such feelings in a grown man? My immediate answer to that question was, no, it wasn't. Neither was it normal for a man of my age to even consider a girl in that way. She was much younger. Seventeen! It didn't matter that she looked older than she was, it didn't matter that she had the body of a mature woman, and neither did it matter that she seemed able to read my mind with the same conviction my grandmother had.

Just thinking about my grandmother made my heart freeze up with shame. What on earth would she think about this? Whatever my response to Rose had been, it was absolutely pivotal that I pushed those feelings back to the inner reaches of my mind, a place to be sealed and never visited again.

Gradually, and thankfully, I managed to push Rose out of my mind, which was overcome with thoughts of other things. Training, guarding, duty. That was what my life consisted of. I pushed all aspects of it to the front of my mind, gradually falling into a heavy slumber.

~

My training session with Rose the following morning went surprisingly well. I had resolved to completely ignore my inappropriate reaction to what happened yesterday, and Rose didn't bring it up either. Her heightened sense of commitment and duty showed from the very moment she bustled into the gym, right on time, already dressed in her work-out clothes. Her usual lazy ponytail was now instead smartly sleek and styled. Noticing that I was yet again regarding her too closely, I assumed a business-like expression and stance, greeting her formally.

'Morning,' she called upon seeing me, bending over straight away for some stretching.

I followed suit, savouring the relaxing feeling the stretching granted my muscles.

'How're you feeling today?' I asked conversationally, glancing up from my crouched position.

'Fine,' she replied, though I could tell it was a lie.

I started her off with the usual morning run, followed by some strength workouts.

'Straight back,' I reminded her some time later, when she, with a weight bar on her shoulders, lowered her body into a squat.

She was panting after another heavy-laden set. 'All these squats are bound to give me a great ass,' she remarked appreciatively. I kept my gaze fixed on the floor.

'Well, you don't want to ruin your back in the process,' I pointed out.

'Ruin my back? How could I ruin my back from a few squats?'

I shrugged. 'Poor posture has that effect.'

She rolled her eyes. 'You sometimes talk like you're a century old, d'you know that?' She looked up suddenly. 'How old are you anyway?'