Chapter 15

Rose came to only a moment later, though she was still mostly out of it. Sweat beaded her forehead, and her eyes darted to and fro, focusing on nothing. She seemed delirious with pain, and it was only getting worse. Her moans turned to gasping breaths, interspersed only by her voice frantically mumbling, 'Comrade, what about our trainings...I don't want this to put me out of practice,' over and over. Her eyes would close, her lips would go slack, and then she'd shake her head and repeat it all over again. I would have laughed if I weren't so worried.

By the time I reached the clinic her words were barely coherent anymore. Sobs mingled with her cries of pain, and the sounds struck me right in the heart each time. I couldn't bear to see her like this, and the fact that there was nothing I could do to help her left me feeling weak and powerless.

Dr. Olendzki materialised only a moment after I called for her, alarmed both by the anxiety in my tone and the yells tearing from Rose's throat.

'What's happened?' she barked, sharp eyes flitting over Rose's body.

'Not sure,' I panted. 'Her foot got caught in a bench. It might be broken.'

'Set her down on the bed over there,' she pointed, 'I'll get morphine.'

I did as instructed, laying an unconscious Rose down on the harsh hospital bed. I wanted to stay with her, but by that time the others had made it to the clinic and were crowding by the entrance.

Lissa's voice was loudest of all. 'Rose, Rose? Where is she?' She had been trying to keep up with my strides, adamant to stick by her friend, but in my haste to get to the clinic she had fallen behind.

I turned to reassure her. 'Lissa,' I called, fighting to keep my voice steady, 'she's in here.' Seeing me, Lissa rushed to the doorway and peered inside, fear clouding her eyes. I was just about to say something else when those eyes suddenly lifted to mine and held.

'I need to be with her.'

'Of course—' I began.

'Alone.'

I stared at her, all coherent thought gone from my head.

'It'll only take a moment,' Lissa continued, her voice silky and smooth.

And suddenly, what she said made complete sense. Why shouldn't she be alone with her friend? I nodded and stepped away from the doorway, watching as Lissa slipped quietly inside. As soon as she sat next to the bed, Rose's wails quieted and she grew still. Somewhat reassured, I left the girls alone for a moment and walked over to let the others know that the situation was under control and that they could leave now.

A moment later Dr. Olendzki came hurrying back through the hallway with her medicines and entered the room. As soon as she was finished doctoring I squeezed back inside, anxious to see what state Rose was in. Seeing that the doctor needed space to do her work, Lissa gave a nod of assent and left.

I stood by Rose's bed while the doctor prodded and examined and at last declared that nothing was wrong, not with her foot, ankle, or leg. And from what I could see, indeed nothing seemed to be damaged. Her ankle was a little red, but other than that, no bruises or other serious marks.

'Strange,' the doctor mumbled, frowning down at her patient, 'I would have thought with all that noise she was making...'

I was too relieved to question it. After a while there wasn't anything left for Olendzki to do, so she left the room on the assurances that I would keep watch on her.

So I took a seat, and I watched. I watched her slack face, finally relaxed in painless sleep. The dark long lashes that framed her eyes, slightly damp from the tears she had shed. The slightly upturned nose, which I knew must come from her mother. The soft lips, red from where she had bitten them. My eyes trailed down to her chest, gently heaving with her steady breaths, down past a flat stomach and strong legs to her one exposed calf—which to my repeated surprise, was completely fine.