Chapter 17

I had been futilely trying to fall asleep that night when I was jerked fully awake by someone pounding madly on my door. I turned on the tableside lamp and peeled back the covers, muttering silently to myself about never being left in peace—which was unfair, since it was mostly just my own mind tormenting me—as I made my way to the door.

I opened it, thinking it had to be a colleague wanting something. But of course it turned out to be Rose. I should have known from the way she had pounded the living daylights out of my door.

My eyes widened as I took her in. She looked a little haggard, though no less gorgeous in the black dress.

'Rose?' I urged, inviting her to explain the cause for this nightly visit.

'Let me in,' she insisted, practically bouncing on her feet, which were still tucked into the heels. 'It's Lissa.'

At that I immediately stepped aside for her. Her eyes darted to the bed, to my pajama bottoms, to my chest, and finally to my still damp hair. I realised too late that I probably should have pulled something on first, but that was a concern for later. Rose wouldn't seek me out like this unless it was serious.

'What's wrong?' I pressed.

Her mouth opened like she was going to answer, but then her gaze fell on my naked chest again. And her expression completely changed; the focus shifted. The way her eyes drifted across my body, across my face...it was like a physical caress in its intensity. Her eyes filled with heat, completely undisguised heat, and I was so startled by that look on her—a look I'd never seen before—that what she did next would never have occurred to me in a million years.

She lunged for me.

Before her hands could reach my chest, which she seemed to be aiming for, I hastily stepped back and exclaimed, 'Rose! What are you doing?'

In a sultry voice she retorted, 'What do you think?'

She moved toward me again, hunger written all over her features.

'Are you drunk?' I asked, holding my hand out in a warding gesture. I had no other way to explain what was going on. Not even in my wildest dreams had I ever imagined this happening.

'Don't I wish,' she returned wistfully. She actually tried to dodge around me, coming at me again, but then paused, her features furrowing with uncertainty. I was wondering whether I was going to have to physically restrain her to keep this insanity from continuing when she suddenly said, 'I thought you wanted to—don't you think I'm pretty?'

That was entirely beside the point, and I was astounded that she couldn't see it. 'Rose, I don't know what's going on, but you need to go back to your room.'

She moved toward me again, completely heedless of my words. I was forced to reach out and grip her wrists to keep her from flying at my chest.

And then everything changed.

It was instant. With that touch, an electric current shot through me. Whatever I had felt a second ago—all gone. My worries had been wiped from existence as an entirely new urge seized me, an urge that was dangerous in its intensity.

Rose came into hyper focus. The dark hair, loosely arranged around her shoulders, the tan skin, the parted lips, the eager eyes...god, I was powerless to resist her.

With all inhibitions suddenly out of the window, I released her wrists and trailed my hands up her arms, sliding slowly along her skin, feeling the heat of her sear my hands. I tugged her toward me, pressing her up against the length of my body. The aching need I always kept a tight rein on had come loose; I wanted no air to exist between us.