05. One of Them

wc: 2290——————//—————You stepped out of your apartment the next morning in an exceptionally good mood, an easy smile set on your face

wc: 2290
——————//—————
You stepped out of your apartment the next morning in an exceptionally good mood, an easy smile set on your face. You descended down the stairs, electing to walk to work that morning. Even your exceptionally nasty landlord, Mr Collins, couldn't ruin your day. (though he was a right nasty guy when it came down to it).

"Morning," you greeted easily as you walked by him tending to the bushes. He glanced at you suspiciously.

"I believe you're familiar with the rule of no visitors after midnight, y/n? Especially not men," he said, tone dripping with implications. You almost rolled your eyes.

"Must have slipped my mind, sir. Won't happen again," you said, all but running in the opposite direction. Though you hoped you were wrong about Theseus not visiting again. Your smile returned as you walked brought the streets of London at the thought of coming back to work and of seeing a certain someone. You could hardly hide from your feelings now. You just hoped you could hide from him. But with that deep, beautiful gaze... you knew your hopes were slim.

Since the day was going so well and you were ahead of schedule, you decided to stop to grab a quick breakfast before work. Now surely there was nothing that could stop you. Today, you were invincible.

You knew something was wrong the moment you stepped out of the elevator at the Ministry.

Normally it was hushed and slow, but not today. Today, there were worried whispers, nervous glances, and the occasional running figures. You noticed all this as you walked to your desk.

"Oi, where's Theseus? I need to talk to him..." you started speaking to Mustache but stopped as you put the details together, "Hang on, what's going on?" you suspiciously asked at the sight of an unusually tense Mustache. You would've sworn you saw his enormous mustache quiver just a bit. Something was clearly not right.

He glanced up at you, confused. "Haven't you heard?" He asked, appalled, and you shook your head impatiently. "Y/n where have you been? It's Scamander. We think he's gone missing."

"You... what!? Who did—? How?!" You whispered almost inaudibly, already trying to push away the panic that was setting in you.

Mustache rubbed his temples and took a shaky breath. "He didn't show up on time this morning, and you know him, he's early every day. Sent some boys out to his flat and they saw evidence of a struggle."

You swallowed and took this in. "Well, what are we going to do?"
He stared at you.

"We can't just sit here and do nothing! For all we know, he could be sitting somewhere terrible, terrified for his life!" You agonized, trying not to picture him hurt.

"Or, he could just have a messy flat and be out of town... without telling us.," he said unconvincingly. "Either way, we have to wait until we've confirmed it. We still don't even know who the last person to see h—"