09. The Magic of Kitchens

wc: 1647——————//——————Gasps for air filled the dark living room as you fumbled for the lights

wc: 1647
——————//——————
Gasps for air filled the dark living room as you fumbled for the lights. Mustache's unconscious form lay on the living room floor, where Theseus now knelt next to him trying to identify the curse he had been hit with. It wouldn't be one he knew, and you both knew it. They had almost made it home unscathed, but Mustache was hit at the last possible moment. Wordlessly, you crouched down to examine him, and as you pushes aside his shirt to reveal his side, you grimaced as you saw the signs of a rare, and particularly nasty curse that dark wizards sometimes used to take their opponents down. His side looked as if it had been burned, the skin around it bubbled and pussed more by the second.

"Theseus, there's a vial in my room, in the nightstand. Get it and then a glass of water," you commanded quietly, and he immediately followed instructions. Moments later, he wordlessly placed the vial in your hand and held the glass of water ready for you to grab. You poured the vial with translucent purple liquid into Mustache's mouth.

Seemingly endless moments passed, and you hoped you weren't too late.

"What's wr—" Theseus began, but was interrupted by coughing and sputtering below you. Mustache awoke with a huge intake of breath and a groan.

"Mustache!" You exclaimed. "Thank God, we thought you died!"

You still managed to get a small smile at your bluntness from both men in the room, though Mustache's much weaker.

"You know, I have a name, y/n," he said weakly, a smile playing at his lips. "'The bloody 'ell did you give me, anyway? It's disgusting."

You laughed and glanced up at Theseus. "Er– it's better you don't know, seeing as it may not be... completely legal... But you're alive and that's what's important," you hastily added, a smirk playing at your lips at Theseus's stern gaze and exasperated sigh.

"You really are something, y/l/n," Theseus marveled, admiring just how much knowledge you had hidden away in your head.

Mustache gagged dramatically in response to your words, which turned into a fit of coughing. Theseus helped you get him onto the couch, where you made him sit back and drink water, and he soon fell fast asleep.

The remaining duo moved to the kitchen, you sitting on a stool across the table from where Theseus stood, leaning his weight on his elbows as he spoke up, a laugh forming in his voice.

"And now we wait," Theseus said with a heavy sigh.

"For what?" You asked, not sure if he was referring to your friend in the other room or what just happened at the ice rink.

He looked out the dark window, searching for something but looked away after not finding whatever he was looking for. "An owl. I'm sure everyone at the ministry is losing their heads." Theseus noticed your guilty face and sought to reassure you. "It's alright, y/n. We did the right thing, everyone was leaving and we were hardly equipped for a full-scale attack..." He looked like he wanted to add something else but decided against it.