07. Icy Territory

wc: 922——————//———————Peter's party was just minutes away, so you pulled on your coat and grabbed your ice skates as you left your— Newt's— room

wc: 922
——————//———————
Peter's party was just minutes away, so you pulled on your coat and grabbed your ice skates as you left your— Newt's— room.

"Don't you want a hat?" Came Theseus's voice from the living room. He was wearing a long, dark coat and what looked like at least three pairs of gloves.

"That's what I forgot..." you muttered. When you re-emerged with a newly-acquired hat, you said, "Love the gloves, Theseus. Not a fan of the cold, are we?"

He crossed his arms defensively. "Don't come crying to me when you have frozen fingers, y/n. I've never been good at sharing." You doubted that was true, knowing full well he would give anyone the shirt off his back if they asked.

You grinned and he offered his arm to you, before apparating to a large tent on the edge of a small lake.

You excitedly jumped and pointed to the figures moving quite ungracefully on the lake. "Look! You've made us late, Salamander.  Come on!" You dragged Theseus to the edge of the lake and put on a pair of extra ice skates you found.

"I've made us late?" He asked incredulously as you sat down, shaking his head. You shrugged, a mischievous grin on your face, and he couldn't help but smile back, even if it was in exasperation.

You skated around for a little bit, waiting for Theseus and talking to a few friends when you saw him fall just about as soon as he stood up.

You laughed and skated to him. "You know, the whole point is to skate, right?" He made a face and you helped him up.

He mumbled something about not going since he was a kid, so you guided him around a bit, skating backwards as you held his arms steady, doing your best not to notice your coworkers staring (and how close you were).

Theseus looked up from his skates with a goofy grin on his face, before losing balance once again, sending the both of you to the ground, his body suddenly on top of yours, his elbows barely holding his upper half above you. Your body practically buzzed in the places Theseus brushed against.

For a few intimate seconds, you stared at each other, panting. You felt your cheeks getting redder by the second, and it was not from the cold.

"...Hey," you said breathlessly after a few more slow seconds. Hey?! Is that all you could come up with!? You were the queen of suggestive witticisms and you missed a perfect opportunity! But all thoughts of that disappeared at the look on his face. He was studying you.

He snapped out of it and pulled himself off of you. "Right. Sorry about that," he said apprehensively, and you started to tease him again when a tremendous boom and terrified yelling followed by bright flashes from spells cut you off al at once and began to break out in the darkness.

You whipped out your wand and scanned the crowd of people for any unfamiliar or unwelcome faces. You'd hardly been here for ten minutes for God's sake!

You spotted known followers of Grindelwald, recognizable from your hours upon hours of pouring over their files with Theseus. What you found as you scanned the crowd was a little bit of both them and other suspicious characters you might've guessed upon first sight were followers of Grindelwald. Then your eyes caught on a distant figure. Your breath stopped and your heart didn't stand a chance. There before you stood Charlie. You made eye contact with your brother—your should-be-dead brother, to be exact.

So it was true. That's all you could think. He was alive. You barely had time to think, and for a brief moment you did nothing before he yelled something to a man you didn't recognize and pointed in your direction. Almost as if... he were directing the man. As if he were a leader.

You assumed he wasn't saying, "Oh hey, that's my sister!" to the man, who pulled out his want and stalked behind Charlie as they moved closer.

--

You were dueling the man Charlie directed to, who you vaguely recognized from a deal you made a year or so back, a few yards away from Theseus and Mustache, who were dueling Vinda Rosier and someone else you didn't recognize. It didn't help that you were all wearing ice skates. Someone had taken on Charlie in a fierce battle, and you only hoped neither of them got hurt. Well, Charlie maybe a bit less so..

You weren't sure if it was just you, but it seemed like all of the opposing side kept glancing at you.

Theseus must have noticed this too, because he kept looking back at you as well, doing his best to stay near you while throwing spells at Vinda faster than you could blink.

After a few minutes, some of Grindelwald's followers broke free of their duels and made their way to you. Now you were sure you weren't imagining things.

Injured ministry workers began disapparating, leaving your side more and more outnumbered. You needed to get out of there. The number on your side began to dwindle until you realized there were hardly more than two dozen of you left. You were on your way to grab Theseus and Mustache to disapparate when you felt a rough hand on your shoulder.

"Hello, y/n. Remember me?"

"Charlie... You— you son of a bitch!" you greeted coldly, blood boiling.

.