□ Chapter 4 □

□ Reginald Hill □~~~~~~~~~~□ Chatting and Questions □

□ Reginald Hill □
~~~~~~~~~~
□ Chatting and Questions □

I go meet Steve in his office while he's throwing some of his medical supplies into the toxic trash bin

I go meet Steve in his office while he's throwing some of his medical supplies into the toxic trash bin. Steve looks up at me and grins widely. "Hey, cuz!" Steve laughs a bit, waving. I wave back happily.

"Hey, Steve. Glad to meet you in person," I say, going into the room. Steve finished tossing the medical supplies and takes the bin out. Safety hazard. It's better for the hospital to recycle this instead of simply throwing it away. Steve comes back, having taken off his doctor's coat.

"Hey," he says. I chuckle as we sit down. I hand him his coffee and the bag. He nibbles on a lemon-blueberry muffin and sips his drink, and I do the same. There's silence as we eat. What is there to say so far?

Steve swallows a swig of coffee and says, "How's life treating you?" I grin because he broke the silence with an excited look in his eye. I think about my answer and respond, "Life's been good, I suppose. I came out to my parents. They accepted me." Steve nods, smiling. More silence comes up.

"I'm sorry to hear about your dad," I say. Steve shrugs his shoulders lightly. "It's okay. I don't believe in any religion, but I think Dad's happy with Mom in Heaven," he says. I relax. But Harry enters my mind.

"Do you know someone named Harry Anderson?" I ask. Steve answers, "Yes," with a mouth full of food. I cringe a bit. "Yes, my father taught me not to speak with food in my mouth," says Steve as he wipes his mouth with a napkin. He sips his coffee and says, "I know Harry."

He sighs, and the happiness has dimmed in his eyes. "It's a shame what's happening to him," he mutters. I hear what he says and tilt my head. Steve curses underneath his breath and tells me, "It's doctor-patient confidentiality. I'd be betraying his trust if I told you without his permission." I sigh.

"He seemed scared of me, Steve," I say. Steve now looks like he's on guard. His eyes narrow, and his jaw is tense. "It's okay if you can't tell me, but give me a hint?" I suggest. He takes a deep breath and says, "Abuse and rape."