Chapter One

Jenny May-Hill knew her cheeks were flushing a bright red when she reached the top of the hill that overlooked the village. Her New Year's Resolution of a new keep fit regime was going to last about a week; this was another fact that she already knew but she had promised her husband Alex that if she went for at least one run a day then he would replace the Death Trap of a coffee machine that he had been using for years with one that didn't actually rattle every time he switched it on. She bent over and placed her hands on her lycra clad knees and breathed out in short, sharp puffs. Jenny couldn't remember when she made the resolution exactly but her best guess was somewhere between Big Ben and a party guest suggesting that they make their own cocktails. Alex's take on a Pina Colada was quite tasty and led to a very interesting night between the two of them but the lethal combination of whatever alcohol was left in the bottle didn't sit well the following morning, or week as it turned out. After straightening up, Jenny cast a glance over the fishing village that had been her home for exactly twenty-eight years. From the quaint little square that made up the High Street over to the stone walls of the impressive Harbour that held the pride of the South West's Fishing Fleet, The Rainbow Sun, Jenny could attach memories to every single one, especially the cliff top that lay just west of the Harbour itself. Jenny could make out the stone bench that stood pride of place there, a welcome rest for anyone who decided to take on the steep climb, especially at the beginning of January. Jenny smiled, closing her eyes to take in a lung full of fresh, slightly salted air before deciding that it was way too cold to stay on the mountain side for long. With a quick stretch and a flick of her blonde ponytail, Jenny was ready to run back down the hill and into the welcoming arms of her home. Well, a slow jog anyway...

Boroughford-upon-Tweed was at its height during the weekend. The whole village seemed to come alive, no matter what the weather. The market stalls were proudly set up with the neighbouring villages all descending to sell on their wares. The latest catch of the day was being thrown into the iceboxes and priced up with the fishmongers already scratching their beards as to what would be the best buy for them today. As Jenny walked through the centre of the High Street, waving at those who greeted her warmly, she noticed that Pip Holland, dressed up to the nines as usual in his fitted blue jeans and skin tight leather jacket, polishing the wrought iron sign that hung proudly above the door of the book store that he had built from scratch. What were once a few shelves, consisting of his private collection was now a two-story book haven for all those who wanted to lose themselves in the classics for an hour or two.

'Be bloody careful on that thing.' Jenny shouted over. Pip turned his head, the small book pendant that he wore chinking against the top button of his jacket.

'I'm always careful.' He yelled back, rubbing a gloved hand against his copper highlighted hair. 'Is that husband of yours working today?'

'Of course he is.' Jenny smiled. 'He always works on a Saturday you know that.'

'Then I will be there as soon as I have finished this.' Pip pointed to the sign with his orange rag. 'Latte please.'

'Of course sire.' Jenny laughed with a wave before the few yards to her destination. Nestled among the gorgeous old buildings was the one place where Jenny could truly relax. C&C Coffee Shop had been a stalwart of Boroughford life since the mid sixties when Charles and Catherine Hill first opened it. Now, in the midst of their retirement to a warmer climate it had passed to their son Alex who, when Jenny entered the shop itself, was busy clearing tables and taking orders from the group of ladies affectionately known as The Purple Rinse Brigade. At least, that's what Jenny knew them as. The little bell above the door signalled Jenny's arrival and Alex looked up with an expectant look on his face. His blue eyes sparkled and his wide smile accentuated his stubble-laden jawline. He politely apologised to the table he was serving and promised them that he would be back within a matter of seconds before making his way over to Jenny.