Chapter Sixteen

The one thing that Jenny hated with a passion was hospitals. The sterile environment, the smell of antiseptic, the hushed voices of the doctors and nurses who were giving her sympathetic looks whenever she caught their eye. Jenny had been sat in the same position for almost twenty-four hours. She was exhausted, emotionally drained and if she was completely honest with herself, needed a hot shower and a change of clothes. But despite everyone around her trying to persuade her to rest, Jenny was adamant that she would not leave Alex. When she had first seen him, she was shocked at how vulnerable he looked. He was covered by what the doctors described as a heat blanket to keep his temperature up, his arms were shrouded in I.V. lines giving him much needed fluids and antibiotics as a precaution. The monitor at the side of his bed beeped with a steady and reassuring rhythm, which calmed Jenny somewhat. There had been an oxygen mask covering his face but now that had been replaced by a thin plastic tube forcing oxygen into his airways through his nose. Jenny was thankful because now she could touch Alex's face just to feel the warmth and make sure that her husband's blood was still flowing. Jenny rubbed her eyes and glanced at the clock that stood in the hallway. Even though Alex was in a side room as per Granddad Tom's request, the door was kept open so the nurses' station could keep a close eye on him. Jenny sighed and turned back to Alex and smiled gently.

'You know, you've got everyone running around after you for a change.' She said, smoothing down Alex's hair as more of a comfort to herself than anyone else. 'Suppose it makes a change, you're always running around after everyone else, must be nice to have a lie-down. A whole day is a bit excessive though don't you think? I mean, I know you were a stupid dick who decided to be a hero but enough now.'

'Good morning Mrs Hill.' Doctor Curtis wore a bright smile as she entered the room with a small knock. 'And how are we this morning?'

'Still as stubborn as a mule.' Jenny sighed.

'I was talking about you.' Dr Curtis said, taking Alex's wrist. 'Don't think I don't know that you haven't been home.'

'I can't leave him.' Jenny said, shaking her head. 'He wouldn't leave me.'

'Ok, well pulse is still strong.' Dr Curtis said with a nod as she placed Alex's arm on the bed. 'We'll run a few more tests than we can get a better picture of what's going on.'

'He is going to be ok though.' Jenny asked, a desperate look crossing her face. Doctor Curtis once again put her hands in her pockets.

'Like I said, we'll know more after the tests. I'll come and check on him later.' The doctor smiled as she left the room as quietly as she entered. Jenny didn't like the tone of Doctor Curtis' voice. It was flooded with sympathy and almost letting telling her to prepare for the worst. Jenny had heard that kind of talk before with Grandma Clemency during her final illness and no amount of preparation helped with her passing. Something needed to be done.

'Alright you, we need to have a chat.' Jenny said sternly, as her attention snapped back to her husband in the hospital bed. 'You need to open your eyes now do you understand? I did not walk into this hospital to walk out a widow despite your best efforts to make me one, you heroic fool. The jig is up Alexander Hill so if you don't sort it out right now, I'll... I... I'll give Pip control of the cricket team. Yeah, that's right I will have him undermine every decision that you make, you got that?' Nothing. No movement, no flickers of eyes, nothing. Jenny felt utterly defeated as she sank back into the uncomfortable chair that had become her home. She rubbed her eyes furiously and tried to blink away the tears that were already forming and stinging her pupils; she didn't want anyone to see her cry. Not Jenny May-Hill, she didn't cry, she was the villager's saviour. But all Jenny could think of at that precise moment was the terrible thought of going back to her house alone. She leant over and placed a gentle kiss on Alex's forehead and placed her head on his shoulder.