Chapter Eight

'You are insane you know that?' It was the occasion when Jenny and Alex were actually getting ready for work at the same time. In their small kitchen, they had mastered the art of moving around in sync as they prepared tea and toast. Jenny grabbed the marmalade from the fridge and placed it in front of Alex who proceeded to open it one handed, confirming Jenny's suspicion that the culinary profession was actually witchcraft.

'You're the one who is always saying I should ask for help.' Jenny reiterated as she poured water onto a tea bag. 'Now that I've asked, I should be committed?'

'It's not the fact that you asked.' Alex stopped mid spread and looked at his wife. 'It's who you asked.' Jenny rolled her eyes and took a long gulp of her too hot tea, immediately regretting it.

'Just trust me.' She managed to croak out, as she put down the mug and reached for the orange juice to cool her now burning tongue and throat. 'I know what I'm doing.'

'Says the woman who now has second degree burns of the jugular.' Alex grinned sarcastically. 'Water is better by the way.' Jenny only responded by flipping Alex the finger as she continued to drain the orange juice. Alex just laughed and kissed Jenny on the temple as he manoeuvred past her, toast in hand. Jenny took a deep breath and held in an acid tinged bleach as she did so.

'I'm not doing that again.' She said to herself, washing out the glass in the sink. It wasn't the best way to start the morning but Jenny did have the satisfaction of messing up Alex's hair when the cushion she threw in reaction to his giggling connected perfectly with its intended target.

Most of the morning for Jenny passed uneventfully. She answered the many emails that had come into the paper for her; she readjusted the follow up article and generally enjoyed a rare sunny, February day. Jenny stood up and stretched and walked a few steps over to her window to glance at The Point in its late winter glory. There hadn't been any snow up until now but there had been plenty of wind and rain, which saddened Jenny slightly. Even though it made it completely inaccessible, when The Point was covered in a white layer of ice, it looked more beautiful than a Christmas card. Sometimes the Chief Photographer at the paper would use a shot just for that very reason, to show his city loving relatives what they were missing. Jenny thought about doing that once or twice with her absent parents on the receiving end. The irrational part of her brain would anyway, the rational part would just ignore them and the life they had made for themselves wherever they may be. Another quick stretch later and Jenny returned to her desk. She let out a small yawn before pulling her chair forward and going back to her article. This Jenny did until it was time for her daily lunchtime visit to C&C. Just as she was gathering her jacket and bag, the Office Junior came dashing into the office and held onto the doorframe as she tried to get her sentence out.

'You...need...to get...oh hang on...' The Office Junior was making more of a show of drama than Jamie during pre-haircut week. Jenny put a hand on her hip and rubbed her eyes.

'I'm hungry, hurry up.' Jenny said, trying to sound more authoritative than she actually meant to be. The Office Junior took a deep breath and waved her hand.

'Council Office called.' She said. 'Your Grandfather, I mean Mayor May, needs to see you immediately.' Jenny knew that the last time Granddad Tom summoned her to the Council Office something bad was going down. She threw her jacket over her arm, grabbed her bag and bounded out of the door, pushing past the Office Junior who still stood there expecting a thank you as Jenny rushed out of the door of Gazette Headquarters.

The clip of Jenny's heels resounded through the hollow walls of the Council Office, breezing past the receptionist who didn't even bother to look up. As she passed The Records Office, Jenny banged on the door but kept walking so didn't see Jamie coming into the hallway.