Chapter Two - "Getting Along"

I heard the words come out of her mouth. But did I accept them? They pierced my heart.

All I could utter was, "I know."

My feelings were conflicted, I had not planned for this outcome.
So, after she told me how she felt, I left the live house with no further words, and returned home, ignoring a shout from Imai-san. I crawled into bed and let my mind race.
Although, in the back of my mind, I kinda knew that would happen. This isn't some stupid love story where you confess once and it's all OK. I want to make her love me. I want to play music with her and make her smile. Is that so much to ask?

I noticed that on my phone, I had several texts from Mizu. As expected, she was worried about me. I decided to respond to her.

“Mizu stop texting me”, I texted, not caring much for grammar. “I’m ok just depressed”

She responded within a minute.
“Thank goodness you’re ok. shirokane san must’ve rejected you huh”

I laughed to myself.
“Again, you hit the nail on the head” I responded. “You some kind of psychic?”

She responded quickly again.
“(Y/N), you can’t just confess to a stranger. Unless you’re in some cheesy romcom, you have no chance of her saying yes”

Before I sent my response, she sent me another message.

“Well, that rests that. Let’s hang out later. We can watch Pastel*Palettes perform today at CiRCLE.”

“Nahhh” I replied. “I’m going back to CiRCLE immediately and apologizing to Roselia”

Not too long after I sent that, my phone started ringing. It was Mizu calling. “But why?” I said to myself before answering.

“STOP THINKING ABOUT SHIROKANE-SAN!”
Mizu shouted through the phone.

"My poor eardrums," I said, ears ringing. "Why?! Just for that, I'm going back to CiRCLE right now!"

I dashed out of my house yet again.

I made it back to the live house in record time.

I saw Marina-san, but she seemed busy, talking to a blonde-haired girl who was holding a bass guitar. She glanced my way and waved. I waved back and entered the practice room. Roselia was still practicing.

I gulped as they all looked my way. "Can I please talk to Shirokane-san?"

Yukina glanced at Sayo, who nodded.

"Luckily for you," Sayo spoke. "We've just ended practice for the day."

Rinko stepped in front of her keyboard and walked toward me. She looked nervous, which was admittedly cute.
It was as if they were silently communicating like psychics as they watched me exit the room with her. As we sat at a table, I noticed the blonde girl again, still talking to Marina-san. She looked my way again but had a confused look on her face this time. Maybe it's strange seeing Shirokane-san talk to a stranger?
I sat staring at the beautiful girl across the table for a bit because I never planned to make it this far. I thought for sure that they'd all kick me out of the live house. Shirokane-san wasn't even looking at me, instead, she was looking at her hands, which she was twirling nervously.

"Shirokane-san, I'm sorry," I said.

Rinko looked up. "Don't… be sorry… You didn't… do anything wrong…"

I stood up quickly, which surprised her.
"Yes, I did! I was too hasty. Let me try again."
I stopped for a second, then bowed.

"Pleased to meet you, Shirokane Rinko-san. My name is (Y/N), and I want to make music with you."

"H-huh?!" Rinko started to blush. "What do... you mean?!"

It was true. I want to play music alongside her. I had been planning on learning piano again.

"So… What do you say? Want to help me learn to play piano…? A new fan of Roselia like me?"

I asked, my heart beating even faster than last time.

Suddenly, I heard someone cough nearby.
I turned around to see the rest of the band spying on us from not too far away. As soon as I looked, they hid again. Surprisingly, Shirokane-san didn't see them as she was too busy thinking about my offer.

"Yes..." she finally said, after a bit more thinking. "I'll… help you… The best I can, at least... You seen nice enough…" She said this, then gave a bright smile, which nearly caused me to faint because it was too cute.
But finally, I fixed my dire situation! Now I have to make peace with the rest of the band, most of which probably still think I'm an awful person.

"And… I have… a way to… make them like you…" she added.

I didn't know what she meant by that. I followed her to the practice room. The room was empty.

"Huh," Rinko said, confused. "Where'd they… go?"

"Oh, maybe I have an idea… You can all come out now!" I shouted, and just like clockwork, the band stepped inside the room, and they pretended not to admit that they were eavesdropping.

"Yukina-san… Where were you…? I wanted to… tell you that… (Y/N) here is cool…"

Minato-san walked up to me and scoped me out.
"So, Shirokane-san says you're all good with her…"

"If Shirokane-san says you're okay," Sayo spoke out, "Then we're okay with you, too."

"Yeah!" Ako shouted. "Rin-rin is the coolest, so we like you now!"

Lisa smiled. "But I never disliked (Y/N) in the first place."

Suddenly, someone also walked in the room. It was the same blonde girl.

"Oh," she exclaimed. "Sorry, but the Pastel*Palettes have this room next."

"No, our apologies," Sayo said. "You're Shirasagi Chisato-san, right? My sister talks a lot about you."

"Ha ha… Hina-chan? I hope it's good things about me!"

Sayo looked away and smiled.
"In her own way, yeah."

"Let's… leave… I'll see you tomorrow… at school, (Y/N)..."
Rinko said to me.

"What?" I responded. "At school?"

Rinko laughed.

"You go to… Hanasakigawa… right? I've seen you… there… I'm… in Class 3-A…"

I was shocked.
Either I didn't pay attention to my surroundings, or Rinko is good at blending in.

"I'm in Class 3-B… Let's meet during lunch, Shirokane-san!"

Rinko blushed again.
"Please… call me Rinko… And… I… can't wait to eat lunch… with you…"

I smiled at that response.

"I'm in Shirokane-san's class, too," Sayo said. "Maybe I can hang out with you two at lunch as well."

I frowned at that response.

After that, I said farewell to Roselia and excitedly rushed home. My bed never felt so good before. I finally could rest.

Tomorrow is a new day - a new day with Rinko...
...And Hikawa-san.
Maybe tomorrow will be harder than I thought.

To be continued...