Chapter Three - "Lunchtime, Fun Time"

I slowly got out of bed.
It was Monday, so I didn't have any energy. I had to get ready for class. But luckily, during lunch, I get to hang out with Rinko!
Aww, but Hikawa-san will be there, too. She seems nice, but I want to talk to just Rinko…

"Oh!" I said to myself. "How about I contact… Kanon-chan? She's in my class. She's so shy, but she could distract Hikawa-san… She does owe me a favor after I let her copy my homework…"

Later...

After class, I saw Rinko and Hikawa-san head to the courtyard. I walked up to Kanon-chan, who was still at her desk. She seemed surprised to see me there.

"Oh, aren't you… (Y/N)," Kanon said. "Did you need something?"

"Yes, I do," I replied. "Big favor… I need you to chat with Hikawa-san, to separate her from Rinko..."

"What?" Kanon shouted. "H-Hikawa-san…? Ohh… She scares me… a bit..."

"Hikawa-san? Nah, she's as harmless as a… porcupine! C'mon, please?" I said, practically begging. I don't know why I made that weird metaphor either.

"Fueeee… I still don't know…" Kanon said.

"She likes jellyfish," I responded.

"R-really…? OK, then." Kanon accepted my plea.

"Thanks, Kanon-chan. Now I owe you!" I said, as we walked to the courtyard. There, we saw Rinko and Hikawa-san sitting down on the grass. I gently pushed Kanon toward Sayo.
She nervously walked over to them, and said something. Hikawa-san stood up, and walked away with Kanon-san elsewhere.

I owe you big-time, Kanon-chan. I immediately walked to Rinko, who was now alone, and sat right next to her. She was startled by my sudden appearance.

"Eeeek! Oh, it's just you... Hikawa-san just... left. Let's wait for her…"

"Ahh, she said that she had student council duties…" I said.

Man, I lied a lot today. I kinda feel bad now. And it's not even April.

"Oh… Then it's okay then…" Rinko said.
She looked around a bit. Then she continued, "Erm, you know… I heard you play the piano… in the music room… A few months ago…"

"Yeah, I did…" I replied. "But I stopped. I lost interest, I guess. I got into video games. I'm a completionist, so it ate up my time..."

Rinko's eyes lit up. She loudly exclaimed, "Then… I can help you… like playing again..."
After that, she blushed and got quiet.

"Rinko, you're cute when you blush like that." I said, taking the opportunity. But, ugh, that sounded awful.

She blushed even more.
"I'm not… cute…"

But it worked! Now to reel her in more.
I inched closer to Rinko. She was so busy blushing that our shoulders were touching.

"I do think you're cute."

Rinko covered her face, which was red.
After a bit, she uncovered her face and smiled.
"Thanks… Yeah… I can… invite you to my house… I have a piano…"

"That sounds great! It's a deal! Thanks, Rink--" I was interrupted because I felt a presence behind me.

"Um, R-Rinko…? Is there s-someone behind m-me…?" I said, worried for my life again.

Rinko didn't reply, she just looked down nervously. I slowly turned around. It was…

Chisato?

"Oh, you're the girl that I saw a few times at CiRCLE! Phew…"
She didn't reply. She simply stared at me for an uncomfortably long time.

"Oh… Is that… Shirasagi-san's… death stare...?'' Rinko said, quietly.

"Aaagh! Stop it, stop it! What's that stare for?!" I shouted.

"Because you were the last person to talk to Kanon-chan before she disappeared earlier!!"

I was caught again. This is karma for lying.

"(Y/N), you were… talking… to Kanon earlier…? I'm… sorry I made you… come here instead…"
Rinko put her head down.

"No, no! C'mon, Rinko! Let's, um, look for Kanon-chan together…"
I grabbed Rinko's hand and ran off. I just wanted to leave Chisato's scary look. But we didn't make it too far before I saw Kanon-chan and Hikawa-san coming toward us.

"Hikawa-san… And Kanon…?" Rinko said, confused.

Hikawa-san's eyes were practically burning. Every step she took nearly shook the earth. She caught up to me.

"(Y/N)-san, what is the meaning of this?! What was Matsubara-san telling me about trying to distract me?"

"Sorry, she pressured me too much…"
Kanon started to cry a bit.

"It's fine, Kanon-chan… And sorry, Hikawa-san…" I apologized.

Hikawa-san crossed her arms.
"It's fine… Just next time, let Matsubara-san join our group if she wanted to…"

Oh… That ended up with less pain than I thought. But I'm glad I've got an appointment with Rinko!
Suddenly, I got a call.

It was from Mizu. Oh, shoot. I haven't spoken to her in some time...

"Why haven't you talked to me? How could you forget your friend?!"

"Well," I tried to speak.

"Well, nothing!" Mizu interrupted. "I can't come to school for a while 'cause I'm sick. You can't come over because it's contagious!"

"You don't sound sick…" I told her.

"I'm taking medicine, and it's working well! But it makes me drowsy. So goodbye, I feel it kicking in! Good luck with Shirokane-san! When I go back, she'd better be your girlfriend!"

"What does that mean-- Hey!"
Mizu quickly hung up. Now I know how it feels.
But even she wants me to succeed! So, that's exactly what I'll do!

After class, I walked out with Rinko.

"So," Rinko started. "I've wondered for a while now… How did you get into the school…? I mean… it's an all-girls school..."

"Huh?" I said.

That was a good question. But I had a real answer.
"Oh! I did a huge favor for some rich guy, some guy, his last name was Tsurumaki, or something, and he said I could have anything. So, I decided I'd come here!"

"That makes… sense… Also… when should you come over…?" Rinko asked.

"Ha ha, whenever is convenient for you! It's your place! But… how about tomorrow, right after school? We could invite--"
I stopped myself. Why did I say that?

"Oh, yeah! Let's bring Imai-san!" Rinko suggested. We can all play together!

I mentally slapped myself on the head for that one.
Well, dang it. Why did I open my big mouth? I want Rinko to be happy, so I agreed.

"Before you go… I want… to play with you… on Neo-Fantasy Online… Since you said you liked video games... My username is 'Rin-rin'...

"Oh, thanks!" I said. "When's the best time?"

"Um… Maybe at seven tonight… I have to go to band practice with Roselia," Rinko responded.

"It's a deal! I'll show you how good I am at RPGs!" I said to her confidently.

As Rinko left my side and headed toward the live house, I ran home, excited to play online with Rinko. I have no idea how to play that game, but I mean, I'm not new to games, so this'll be a fun experience!

To be continued...