CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

"Yanzu kai baka da kunya ko? You're not even ashamed of yourself

"Yanzu kai baka da kunya ko? You're not even ashamed of yourself. Instead of you to be a man and marry another wife so that she can give you your own children but here you are doing whatever that God forsaken wife of yours said you should do."

"Aunty can you even hear yourself.  I can tolerate anything but I can't tolerate you insulting my wife. What you did to break my marriage in the first place didn't work, so now can you rest please"

"You've grown wings now Yusuf. Or are you under her spell. That white woman has you wrapped around her fingers. So she made you collect Zainab's child because she cannot give you a child" she laughed

" I did it on my own. We came here to show you our child and get your blessings but all you've done is accused Fareedah of things she didn't do......"

Yusuf stopped talking when I entered the sitting room with Hibba on my shoulders. Yeah, we now call her Hibba. I sat down as if I heard nothing and Aunty Rahma was looking at me somehow.

"We'll take your leave" Yusuf said not looking at Aunty Rahma before he collected Hibba from my hand and headed to the door. I trailed behind him while Aunty Rahma was at our back too. She bade us farewell which was obviously not from her heart before we zoomed off.

I received alot of congratulatory messages from my family and friends.  Everyone was happy for us as if I just gave birth to my own child. Having Zainab's child with me was one of the most beautiful things that has ever happened to me. Having sleepless night has never being more beautiful and amazing. I would spend the night trying to rock her to sleep and hush her down while she cried, I would shed little tears too because motherhood wasn't easy but it was wonderful  at the same time. 

"You know I should be the one angry right? You should really calm down. Sometimes you behave as if you don't know Aunty Rahma"

"You heard us?"

"Yes I heard....."

"That woman manages to get on my nerves all the time wallahi" I noticed how he clenched the steering wheel. "I haven't even told Ummi about all these things she does because I'm not even sure she'll believe. Aunty Rahma always has her ways" he huffed.

"The least we could do is to ignore her but let's not disrespect her. Whatever she does, she's still like a mother figure in our lives. Yes, she's not my favourite person in the world and neither am I hers but that doesn't mean I'll disrespect her even if she disrespects me. Komai hakuri neh kuma Allah ya kara mana"

"Ameen" He said under his breath. Yusuf was a stubborn one and he wouldn't let this be.
_______________

"She's fine Mummy" I said, rocking Hibba while Jameela was helping me to arrange the baby bag.

"Hope she doesn't cry at night? You know change of environment can cause it"

"At the beginning she used to, but now she's getting used to it."