Storms and Memories

"Are you sure you don't want to come along? Two weeks is fourteen days and it's a long time. Plus if you're worried about Maraïda, she can just come along. There's enough space for all." Sophia's voice echoed from within her closet. I could hear her ruffling things about as she packed her suitcases. She had just gotten an urgent call to fill in for a sick friend for some fashion event in Spain.

"You know I would in a heartbeat my love. But there are some serious issues with the company that require my presence and attention now, and I can not afford to just postpone it again." I continued scrolling through the emails my assistant had sent me. She handled all the less important ones and only sent me only the ones of utmost importance. And the were a ton of them. I had been ignoring them for weeks now, with Maraïda coming into our lives and every event that preceded her arrival, but they were beginning to threaten my businesses. I had to take advantage of Sophia's absence to give my undivided attention to my work.

When Sophia left, I felt a sense of change. Not too alarming but enough to make me cautious of her absence. It was going to be the longest weeks of my life. I had had times like this, when she'd be out of town and I would be home on my own, head deep into my work; but this time around, it was different than the times before. The was someone else added to the picture.

The first few days after Sophia left followed the normal routine. Some days I saw Maraïda, some days she just said she was fine from behind the doors of her room. I would be worried but I had gotten used to it. Just like that, a week flew by.

The following week, that I hoped will fly by quickly too, I missed Sophia's company so bad. I hated solitude. I could not comprehend how Maraïda did it like all the time.

It had been a pretty rough and stormy day; it had poured through all day out. I had just gotten back from the office and was headed for a cool shower when I heard a knock on the door. It was almost midnight and the only person I knew could be that insensitive to disturb my peace at that ungodly time of the night was Maraïda. I internally groaned,

What now?

"Come on in, Maraïda." I said as I continued my way to the bathroom.

"Mr. Shenko?" Someone called; not who I had expected. It was one of the maids; Lorinda, I think. She looked pale and frightened. She was almost tearing up,

"Lorinda! What is going on?"

"It's miss Maraïda sir. She hasn't been out of her room all day. She didn't get her dinner last night and when I tried to bring her breakfast this morning, she told me to go away."

"What? She's starving herself now?"

"She's stayed locked in since morning and now she isn't even answering the door anymore; and we've been at it for hours!"

"Why is this getting to me just now? Why did no one call me earlier?"

"I'm so sorry sir!"

I just ran pass the woman, straight to Maraïda's room. Immediately, I started knocking, banging the sounds out of it while still trying to call out to her.

"Maraïda!" No response! It was dead silent! Apart from the noise I was making, and the whispers of the storm outside. I was still knocking helplessly, "Maraïda! Can you hear me? Open the door! Please!" It was just the same stagnant unresponsive atmosphere,

"Lorinda get me a spare key. There's got to be one for every room in the house."

"There isn't any sir, I already checked."

"What! How can there be no key?"

"Miss Maraïda had confiscated all of them a long time now. Said she didn't want anyone else having access to her room." I could almost feel the trembling in her voice as she spoke. It was comforting knowing I wasn't the only one deranging the hell out of my mind.

"Maraïda! If you can hear me please open the door!" There was still no response. I could feel the anger boiling from within my soul. If she was doing this on purpose, I had a few words to lash at her after this.

"I swear Maraïda Mendoza, if you're doing this on purpose- I'll break down this door right now!!!" I yelled to the top of my lungs but all seemed in vain. Finally I decided to go with my strength and with one quick and hard push, I broke the door open.

I almost paled at the sight in front of me. If not for my instinctive willpower to act quickly, I'd have choked myself to death from lack of breathing.

"Cassie, turn on the heater and shut the windows! Someone get me more covers and call the doctor! Quickly!" I found myself towering then covering her shivering body with mine, closing her up as tight as possible to share the warmth of my body with hers. I could hear her teeth clattering together as she shivered under me.

"It's OK Mara! I'm here." I comforted her, soothingly rubbing her back through, two covers, I think! "How did this happen?"

Someone brought in more covers and draped them over the both of us. I could already feel the warmth of the heater cozying up the room. Her shivering had now reduced but she was still burning up. I couldn't understand why she'd locked herself in, knowing fully well she was sick.

I didn't want to think it was intentional. The thought of her still trying to harm herself, plus the baby gave me a sickening feeling. Then she let out a small cry, calling out a name:

"Marissa!" That was when the thought hit me. It was the name engraved on the tombstone back at the graveyard. It was a stormy night that day and it had been raining cats and dogs all day today.

Storms brought her bad memories!!!