Chapter Ten

The Stories

This is the art of courage: To see things as they are and still believe that the victory lies not with those who avoid the bad, but with those who taste, in living awareness, every drop of the good

Shay's P.O.V.

"Why are you so surprised?" Blake asks him.

"You haven't heard the stories?" We shake our heads no and he sighs. "Follow me." We step out of Fern's room and I shut the door and see and pack warrior standing next to the door.

I nod to him and then continue to follow after Jay as he leaves the hospital wing. We walk towards the main house and he leads us to the library. When we enter he immediately starts looking through the piles of books stacked around and then through the shelves. We just stand there and watch him not knowing what he's looking for. He examines a think book before putting it back and shaking his head, mumbling to himself. He moves on and we decide to just sit down and wait for him to find the book he's looking for. Just as I begin to doze off, there's the sound of something heavy slamming onto the table in front of us, causing me to jolt up from my seat.

"Found it." Jay states and we all look at him in questioning. He sighs, "This book holds all of the stories that have come up through the years about werecats. Be ready to read for a while. I need to get back and check up on a few patients. Goodbye and good luck." When he leaves, we crowd around the large book on the table.

"Do you guys want to make copies?" Opal asks and everyone nods their heads. "Alright we better get started then." She stands up and we follow her to the large printer stationed in the far corner of the library.

Three hours later and we're finally done. I sigh and begin handing out copies to everyone. I grab the original book and set it on the librarians desk before following the others out. We head to our separate rooms ready to crash for the night, so that we can meet up and read our copies together tomorrow. We may have ran the copier out of ink but oh well, lets hope its worth it. I open my bedroom door and make my way to my bed and land face first onto it.

"Man tomorrow is going to be long and busy." I say to myself and then drift off to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fern's P.O.V.

When I open my eyes again, the white walls and bright lights of my hospital room momentarily blinds me.

'Lily?' I say in my head hoping that she'll reply.

'I'm here Blue.' Her weakened voice finally answers after a few seconds and I let out a sigh of relief.

'Are you ok?' Is the next thing that I ask her.

'I am now. How are you holding up?'

'I've been better. Anyway do you know how long we've been here?'

'About two days maybe. I think Raven used your phone to text your parents, telling them that you're staying with her this weekend.'

'That's great now I don't have to explain anything to them.'

'You can worry about that later. For now get some rest, it's possible that you'll be completely healed by tomorrow morning. Plus I wanna go for a run when we finally get out of here.'

'Night Lily.'

'Night Blue.' I close my eyes and drift off to sleep, wondering what tomorrow may bring.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shay's P.O.V.

The sun streaming through my windows is what wakes me up the next day. I groan and roll over facing the other way. My phone buzzes and I begin searching for it in my mess of blankets. Ugh! Where did is it, after a bit of time I finally find it.

"Hello." I groggily ask.

"Hey man you up?" I hear Dylan ask.

"Dude you know he isn't awake this early." Scotts voice fills my ears and I scoff at him. Everyone on his side laughs and I glare at my screen.

"What do you guys want?"

"We heard that Fern is getting released from the hospital today." My eyes widen and I jump out of bed.

"Give me a moment to get ready, I'll be down soon."

"Alright I'll be waiting." He hangs up and I throw on some random clean clothes. I grab my phone and hurry out of my room and downstairs.

"Damn man, took you long enough."Dylan states when he notices me coming his way.

"Shut up Dylan." He laughs and starts walking away.

"Race ya!" He yells and we start running. By the time we reach the hospital wing I'm in the lead and we're both out of breath.

"Ha, I win again." He sighs and we walk inside.

"So that's thirty to twenty-nine right?" I nod and walk over to the others.

"Did you guys race again?" Ace asks and Dylan laughs a bit.

"But of course."

"So what's the score?" Blakes asks.

"Thirty for me and twenty-nine for him." I say while pointing at each of us.

"Come on Fern should be out soon."Raven states happily and we all walk up to the nurses desk.

"Do you know when Fern will be released?" Opal softly asks.

"She should be out any moment." We all nod and head back to our seats. Not to long after we can hear running footsteps and a man yelling.

"Get back here!" A small figure runs past and I catch Ferns scent. "Someone stop her!" A quiet growl leaves my chest. No one will be touching my mate. As soon as I stand up the others do as well.

"Lets go get Fern." They all nod to my statement and we begin running out of the hospital following her scent. We round the corner just as one of the pack warriors catches her in his arms.

"Let go of me you big oaf!" Fern tries wiggling her way out but fails.

"Let her go." Once he sees me he immediately lets her go.

"Sorry just doing as told." I wave him off and go to Fern.

"So, why'd you run out?"

"I wanted to go for a run." She stares at the trees lining the area then back to me.

"Well how about we do that after you get fully released from the hospital." Rose compromises. Fern nods and Raven grabs her arm and wraps hers around it.

"Let's go then." Fern sighs but does as told.