Chapter Five

"He called him a faggot!" Carver yelled and I winced, not enjoying that word coming out of my brother's mouth.

"Oh my god, he doesn't matter!" Steven yelled and I looked down, why was I called here again?

"Okay, okay! Steven you're suspended for a week. I'll see you Wednesday morning in my office. Now get out, oh and you miss your next two soccer games." Steven glared at us and then stormed out of the principal's office. "Okay, Carver I know you were defending your brother but I still need to punish you. Go home, come back Monday and you'll miss your game Tuesday." Carver opened his mouth, but I nudged him.

"Okay, I'm sorry I am but I lose my temper easily... especially over Bentley.” He said and then looked at me. "I’ll see you at home." I nodded and he bit his lip and I chuckled softly.

"Just go, I can walk home. Zane can walk me home if it scares you to have your gay defenseless brother on the streets.” My bitterness was coming back and I heard the principal sigh.

"Out Carver,” Carver sighed, but he pushed my head first. "You started all of this." He said and I bit my lip.

"He was going to... tell... someone I liked them and I know it sounds stupid but I was not ready to come out of the closet and he forced me out! I didn't hit him, until I pushed his nose, but I still never hit him! Tackling doesn't count!" I said defensively.

"Go to class, Bentley. Control your temper and please, don't be so melodramatic." I opened my mouth. "No I get it, you were scared of everyone hating you or getting hurt, but I don't like violence. Class. Now." I stood up and walked out of the office, slowly but surely making it to my sixth hour class. I sat in the office all fifth hour.

Talk spread fast. I sat down, eyes on me and whispers floating in and out of my head.

I just wanted this day to end! It didn't. It lagged by. Minutes were hours.

The bell finally dismissed us and I let out a relieved breath. "Hey," I stopped short of leaving the door, my eyebrows furrowing. "If you ever want to talk, I know coming out sucks," Skylar Davis handed me his phone number that was scribbled on a sticky note.

Since when was he gay? "Uh, thanks," I said finally and he laughed.

"Whatever guy you're pining after obviously doesn't deserve you," He added and smiled, leaving me completely confused and a little... happy.

I walked out of the classroom, heading to my locker. Gabe and Chelsea were already leaning against it. "I just got Skylar's number.”

“Mm, don't call him. He's a total player," Chelsea said and I frowned.

"But he told me I could talk to him if l needed to," I pouted and she laughed, snatching the number from me.

"Yeah, and he never dated a guy." She pulled out her phone and tsked. "Ooh, cheerleader, phone?" Chelsea smiled and the overly blond girl smiled back at her.

"Why...?" she asked, though her smile never faded.

"Right, do you have Skylar's number?"

"Ugh, he's such a tool!" She pulled out her phone and showed Chelsea.

"Not the same number, Bentley. I told you! He's trying to be a complete douche bag because he's in the in crowd."

I frowned. "Thanks for putting down all my slight happiness,” I said and Gabe sighed.

"Here comes boy drama, I'm out." He kissed Chelsea and then smiled at me. "You'll get over him."

"Over who?" Zane asked and I laughed.