Chapter 1 - May 17, 2031

The woman laughed, and darkness seemed to rush around her, light falling away. "She escaped ae long time ago, why thei sudden rush?" She spoke in Reivel, a tongue long forgotten by most. "She left us-" The woman left the 'us' hanging, and the child, no older than sixteen, looked down. She had purple trim on her dark coat and wide innocent eyes.

The girl was a Vichian, a third-level rank. And she was nervous, her fingers lightly fluttered, her shoulders slightly tense, but her voice was smooth. "Ma'am she's been contracted." Her heart raced and she struggled not to pick at her nails.

They were taught when they were Rouges not to show signs of weakness, and they would kill her for that. The tension made the air heavy, and the girl's eyes dropped to the ground, an attempt to escape the weight.

The woman continued as if the child had never spoken, "-not thee job. Besides, we gifted heri with Mercies, and they won't let heri do anything else because of that." The girl shivered. "Contracts go to the government every day. Why should Iy care? Besides," the woman drawled as her shoulders relaxed "She's only ai heartbeat away."

The room was barren, and there was nothing to fixate on besides the woman who lounged on a white chair. The Vichian avoided the sliver of her face. Clasping her hands behind her back, she bowed her head in respect. Her knuckles were white. She locked her knees. "She's been contracted by thee president."

"Then thee president's ae fool." The woman reapplied white lipstick under her large hat, a smile creeping up in the sliver of light that slashed across the bottom of her face.

The girl blinked and wondered if she should pray. "To save hise son." She wondered if anyone would listen.

"Ki?" The woman sat up, mirth filling her voice. "And youe're telling me this nouu?" Light drew back as her glee echoed, the shadows darkened. The child stumbled away from the woman, but she didn't seem to notice. The hat didn't move. "Myi child, saving someone? They'll corrupt her." She frowned and applied more makeup, touching up her already flawless skin.

"What should Iy do ma'am?" The child bit the inside of her cheek and stood at attention.

The woman smiled, a warm and encompassing gesture, and gently placed her lipstick in an organized drawer. She pulled out a thin knife that radiated light. "Nothing. Youe flinched." Her wrist flicked, and the lights flickered

The child gasped, spilling onto the floor. Red poured out of her forehead, but the knife had vanished.

"Ki myi. What ae mess." The woman stepped over the body, her red heels clicking on their way out. "Clean it up."