Chapter 4 - Part 2

Vichian I1 stood, back straight, a passive look on her face. Her heart raced.

Mère's eyes passed through the rows of twenty-six girls. Their posture was perfect, head high, eyes down. She clicked her tongue as her eyes passed over each girl. Vichian I1 held her breath.

Mère stopped in front of I1, silence ringing in her wake. Her hands grasped at the chin, lifting it up. Examining it. "Each of youe are here because youe are tarnished, blemished, not-perfect." Her eyes snapped back to Vichian I1. "But youe, marionette, are unwanted."

Every girl strained not to look at Vichian I1 because that was true, everyone knew it. It was the biggest unkept secret in the Bleeding Hearts, Vichian I1 was broken, unwanted, but Mère's favourite.

Mère yanked I1's head to the left. "Who else would want ain overly emotional, uncoordinated, desperate child?" The hand left Vichian I1's face, and she struggled to breathe. "Iy guess Iy'm thei only one that loves youe." The stone walls, splattered with blood, felt like they were closing in on her. "Yet, youe always disappoint me."

Sometimes Vichian I1 wondered if Mère still loved her, if the days of beaches, and crude drawings framed on a desk were only dreams.

Vichian I1 blinked, and the Vichian H4's head snapped back. She was a puppet cut from her strings. Blood pooled around her head. The girls didn't stare at their sister in arms, but they all tried to not let a breath of relief escape. They survived another day. Vichian H4 hadn't.

Living is like a roulette game, you never know when you get shot.

In Mère's other hand, she held the smoking gun. "She wavered, youe shall not. Iy'll perfect each and every one of youe, or youe will die trying to succeed."

She turned around and marched back and forth. "Today will mark your change to Dames Blanches. Nok longer will youe be children, but youe will be apprentices. Youe will walk through those doors as weak children," She gestured to the large, threatening, metal doors behind her, "But youe will walk out with Basic Mercies and white on your uniforms."

Vichian I1 held her breath, staring towards her future. Most kids didn't make it past the basics, most never wore white.

"Today youe will gain ae little more strength, speed, healing, and life. Or youer troubles will end. We will find out which of youe will make it, and which of youe will get left behind."

She paused for a dramatic effect, and Vichican I1 held back a smile. Mère always had a taste for the dramatic.

"Vichian A1." Mère called out, "Youe may proceed."

Vichian A1 walked through the metal doors which slammed behind her. Nobody moved at the loud noise, and nobody moved when the screaming started, but their imagination wondered how the metal, how the injections would feel on their skin. They bit back their fear. The screaming stopped.

Mère smiled, her hat tilting. "Youe girls will impress me."